IGNORED

2000 R1100 RTP

Danny K

I just bought a BMW R1100 RTP, former CHP bike, rides great and has been a lot of fun.

Couple of questions.

1) how do I get the seat off? I want to explore under there...2nd battery? Lights and siren wiring?

2) are there any good websites for older parts for a 2000 rtp? I tried eBay with little luck. I'm looking for front crash guards and the small lights that go on either side of the windscreen.

Thanks!

Danny

1) how do I get the seat off? I want to explore under there...2nd battery? Lights and siren wiring?

2) are there any good websites for older parts for a 2000 rtp? I tried eBay with little luck. I'm looking for front crash guards and the small lights that go on either side of the windscreen.

Thanks!

Danny

Open the tail/radio trunk. At the front (rider's) end of the box is a U-shaped handle. Pull up/out on the handle and pull up on the seat while the handle is up.

The 2nd battery is in the left glove box (assuming the prior owner didn't remove it and leave the cables taped-up). Most of the Authority wiring is under the radio box or in the nose fairing, with connections to the fusebox.

Under the seat is the fuse box and the top of the air cleaner box, and usually the barrel-shaped diagnostic plug. Also, the RT-Ps were equipped with an extension to the battery positive terminal for jump-starting or charging the battery without having to remove the left side fairing. If yours is still there, it is under the rear edge of the tank/front edge of the seat. The negative terminal for jumping is a similar button-shaped post at the rear of the left cylinder head.

The police lights that mount on the upper brackets are, to the best of my knowledge, not sold to the public. Any light can go there with enough creativity with bolts, brackets, washers, spacers, nuts, etc. Be aware that aux lights mounted above the headlight are illegal in many jurisdictions. That said, I have not (knock on wood) been pull yet for the small Clearwater lights I put on my RT-P's mounts, running at 10% power as daytime running lights.

Keep watching flea-bay. The major breakers (e.g., BeemerBoneyard) rarely part out RT-Ps, but a number of people do so following the CHP auctions. The R1150RT-P bars are the same as the R1100RT-P bars. The R11RT-Ps are long out of service with the CHP, but there are a few R1150RTPs still coming off line -- not many, but something should turn up eventually.

I concur with Mark. EBay is your best bet for parts...you just have to be vigilant and patient to get what you want at a reasonable price.

... and as far as the crash bars are concerned, I removed mine and threw them away. I thought they were unsightly, and looked out of place on a conversion to civilian use... The front crash bar mounting point that peeks through a hole in the side fairings just below the BMW roundels is ideal for mounting accessory lighting...

Just my $0.02

agreed on the bars and point for aux lights. I made a 2" bracket to attach to the frame holes and then the bullet lights on the other end.

Looks really nice and makes the frame/Tupperware holes look like it was made for the lights.

Archived