Wethead RT - First Impressions!

moshe_levy

So I was going to write this long, detailed post about my first impressions, having picked up the RT this morning and logged a few hundred miles on. Here it goes........

"WWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!"

That about sums up how I feel right now....

-MKL

But seriously.... Let's talk turkey:

PROS: Do you have time? Do you have space? Can you spare enough bandwidth? C'mon! This is the best RT ever. EVER! It' so fast, so smooth, so capable, so spacious, so comfy (except the stock seat,) so well rounded, so amazing! I'm still smiling ear to ear just thinking about it. I missed riding like this so much! (My friend bet me I'd be on another RT within a year of selling my last one, and he was right!) There is no point repeating what everyone has already raved about - suffice to say, all the good reviews were understatements IMO.

CONS:

1) The seat SUCKS! Sucks worse than any other stock seat I've ever had, except my Harley Sportster. The magnitude of this insult cannot be overstated. It's HORRIBLE. It needs to go, yesterday. My ass was on fire after only 150 miles. (Just for reference I was perfectly fine on my Oilhead and Hexhead stockers, and have tested 3 seats for MOA in the past year alone. So believe me when I say this seat sucks!)

2) My usual complaint with BMW's grips which were designed for midget hands. Every modern BMW ever is guilty. Once again I'll need grip covers to increase diameter which will negate the heat feature. Ugh...

3) Info overload. It's not a "con," but I just need to get set up, pair my phone, and figure out all these new fancy settings to play with. It makes the last RT look primitive.

4) The dash is subject to reflection. Constantly. Very annoying.

I have a boatload of accessories to install and I can't wait to take her out for longer spins. Overall I'm thrilled. Very thrilled! Happier than I have ever been on any previous RT.

-MKL

Moshe, you did read your owners manual before riding, didn't you?

Cuz you would know the gauge panel is angle adjustable! Get rid of that glare.....

I think several of us told you so, but isn't this a leap in all around performance?

HUGE leap. The power vs. the Hex is a quantum step forward.

Did NOT read the manual or even get much of a tutorial. I had to get the hell out of the dealer and beat the shore traffic back home. Took the looooooong way but I knew there was much to learn. The salesman insinuated that I'd be able to pick up the details if I spent some quality time with the manual, so that's what I've got to do at this point.

-MKL

Moshe, good news... the Grip eater works and is still effective with Grip Puppies on the stock grips.

What sort of headset/communication devices are you using? I finally broke the code, with a lot of help from the support guys at Sena. Love the way it works now.

You need to do three things, in this order:

1. Pair Headset to Bike

2. Pair Headset to Nav V (GPS)

3. Pair Phone to Nav V

If you do the pairing exactly the way shown here... (including all the re-sets) you will only have to do it once:

If you do the pairing exactly the way shown here... (including all the re-sets) you will only have to do it once:

Agreed -- also helps to have any unnecessary Bluetooth devices turned off, i.e., when pairing the helmet to the bike, turn off the GPS and the phone, etc.

The pairing story is this: I am still using a stone-age comm setup, namely the Chatterbox Bluetooth X1 that I tested for MCN in 2008. ( http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnchatterbox.pdf )

I'm about to be catapulted into modern times by the arrival of a new test setup, the Interphone F5MC. So I have the F5MC, my Iphone 5c, my brand new BMW Nav 5, and the factory radio on the new RT. The Interphone just arrived a few days ago, and I have yet to unpack it. But I am responsible for a full article on it, so all of this stuff is going to have to work together. I appreciate the advice and in the next few days when I get down to pairing this stuff, I think the subject may be worthy of its own thread, depending on how much trouble I run into.

-MKL

Archived