IGNORED

MY 2015 IBR...

KTsRidin

So, I totally didn't do this right, but if someone wasn't following along as I was riding the Iron Butt Rally this year you can still "live the adventure" :clap:

KTsRidin Blog

I started posting some prep items mid-June and then Jennifer took over as the ride cranked into gear (June 25th post). This was a weird clash of worlds for me (competition endurance motorcycling vs the career) and perhaps oddly I'm still working through it so I know there will be more posts to come.

As a special note to BMWST folks - the cover photo is one that Jennifer insisted I use. She says this is her favorite picture of me... go figure. But for me it brings back an awesome memory of a BMWST gathering in New England. This picture was taken (sorry, don't remember who - if it was you please let me know so I can credit you) when I had JUST arrived and was looking into the pit that was cooking our dinner. The smell of the vegetables and seafood was amazing!

KTcover_cropped.jpg

Enjoy - and cheers to all,

Kirsten

Think about all the motorcyclists out there, what an elite club to belong to! :thumbsup:

I may have missed it in your link but can you talk about your mindset during the ride?

I've done a few single day rides touching on a thousand miles (no chuckling) :grin: and the conversation with myself at times got a little silly, and, I found I can't sing worth crap. :rofl:

When you weren't navigating, how'd you pass the time in your helmet?

Another great accomplishment! :clap:

Pat

Kirsten and Jennifer,

First, congratulations on having a safe and rewarding IronButt 2015! Thanks for sharing all of that from your points of view.

I followed along vicariously through the Daily Reports, as well as the Public Spots and the excellent discussions on the FJRForum, but those don't really convey the personal side of it as much. The exception would be that there are users on the FJRForum who have run the event in previous years and they will sometimes give some insight.

Anyway, we're glad you're home safe and sound!

Glenn

Great read.

Thanks.

Congratulations again.

Best wishes.

:clap:

+1

It was fun to read your blog and follow you along through the daily IB Rally reports. I look forward to seeing you and Jennifer at FART this year.

I may have missed it in your link but can you talk about your mindset during the ride?

Wow, great question... and it varies. This is a great topic for a blog post so if you don't mind, I'll use it for a more expanded reply. Suffice it to say here that I too can not sing, but that doesn't stop me :dopeslap: I also spend an inordinate amount of time second and triple guessing myself and my decisions, looking for potential points that might be better than what I'd planned.... and all of that means I'm doing a lot of math in my head. Yes, I know, I'm not good at it either which is why if you were riding beside me you might see me "writing" in the air trying to work out a time/distance issue.

ALL - please keep the questions coming as they help me know what folks are interested in... like the bit about the personal side.

THANK YOU all for the nice comments. During the ride knowing my friends and gurus here on BMWST were following along is something that helped to keep my spirits up as the weather, miles, darkness, and doubts piled on.

Cheers,

Kirsten

Wow, great question... and it varies. This is a great topic for a blog post so if you don't mind, I'll use it for a more expanded reply.

Don't mind at all, thanks for the reply, Kirsten! I'll check in on the blog, must say though, your brief description put me right there! :thumbsup:

Pat

Kirsten..

Congrats on the ride. You did well! As an IBA member myself, I know a bit of what you were going through along the ride. My IBA ride from Marion NC to Lincoln NH that I posted a few years ago was entitled "time to ponder" if my memory serves me well, I remember that besides all of the planning for the ride and the suppositions of what if and the logistics of gas ups, and eating pretty much kept my mind so active, I really did not have a problem riding. It was when I entered the eighteenth hour of the ride, I had to really concentrate and focus hard to continue on because fatigue was settling in. In your situation, you also have the stress of making points, choosing routes and make the right logistical choices pretty much on the fly. My hat is off to you and if the planet's align, the moon is bright, there maybe a slight chance that I may have the opportunity to also ride in the 2016 IBR.

Wheel on and tell us a bit of your strategy.

I followed the rally from the official posts, glad to see you move up and finished well. and safely home again .

so next year you have no excuse to miss the UN...

Archived