2004 R1150RTP issue

SILVER-SURFER7

SILVER-SURFER7

Bought my third RT recently, after a new 2002 RT with bad surging issues and then a 2002 RTP also with surging issues. Found a craigslist deal on a low mile 2004 R1150RTP, bike needed some TLC. The PO said bike had new clutch installed at 34K, bike had 38K when I acquired it. Fog light, heated handgrip switch, and choke was not working, along with various bolts and nuts missing. PO had changed oil to Amsoil, bike was going thru 1 quart a K. At 41K decided to do major service, bike was running poorly. Installed new quick fuel disconnects, new air filter, new spark plugs, new brake pads front and back, valve adjustment, throttle body sinc, Mobil 15-50 synthetic and filter change. Removed charcoal canister, plugged associated vacuum line, replaced heated grips switch with used e-bay switch, got the fog light switch to function again, and replaced missing bolts and nuts.

One of the major issues happening with the bike before and after this service is a noise at full throttle. Before service happened 2 times, both times in 5th gear, was around 3k rpm at heavy throttle up a steep hill trying to pass at 50mph. Hill I go up when commuting to work daily. Noise reminds me of valve chatter from a GSXR I rode once. I thought it might be valves, or possibly throttle bodies? After service, and valve adjustment (valves were a little tight). I was in 3rd at about 3Krpm, accelerating hard to pass car on freeway entrance. Same noise, seems to come from left side of bike, every time this has happened, I have immediately let off on throttle and sound stops. Any ideas?

Second problem also has been going on since I bought bike, at stops idle drops slightly when brakes are engaged and whirring starts. RPMs drop 100-150. Possibly is this the ABS unit starting to go out?

Thanks for any input, Jay

Afternoon Jay

It might be spark or combustion knock. Maybe someone has messed with the ign timing OR your engine might have a carbon built up (especially if it burnt oil in the past).

On the RPM drop (at idle) with I-ABS brake usage-- that is somewhat normal but a battery that is getting old & weak can make it seem even worse.

You might also make sure your engine is firing (solidly) on all 4 spark plugs. If running mostly on only the uppers they will cackle like crazy under heavy engine load.

Also-- if your bike doesn't have the 2nd load relief relay you might look into adding one as that can increase spark intensity by splitting the coil load between two power sources (Roger did a write-up on adding a 2nd load relief relay to a 1150RT a few weeks ago. (see if you can find that write-up--or PM Roger)

SILVER-SURFER7

Yes, was thinking a old battery might also be a problem, not running the RTP second battery, no date on battery, was looking to upgrade to Odyssey PC680 due to unknown battery age. Both previous RT's owned never had RPM's drop at stops with whirring going on.

Would worn throttle make the clickity noise at hard throttle at lower RPM's, or is this more likely a common noise heard from to much throttle at low RPM's in higher gears? This RTP runs much lower RPM's in 6th then my 2002 RTP did, Im at 3K RPM's at 60 MPH in 6th, my 2002 was at 4K at 60 MPH.

Thanks, Jay

Yes, was thinking a old battery might also be a problem, not running the RTP second battery, no date on battery, was looking to upgrade to Odyssey PC680 due to unknown battery age. Both previous RT's owned never had RPM's drop at stops with whirring going on.

Would worn throttle make the clickity noise at hard throttle at lower RPM's, or is this more likely a common noise heard from to much throttle at low RPM's in higher gears? This RTP runs much lower RPM's in 6th then my 2002 RTP did, Im at 3K RPM's at 60 MPH in 6th, my 2002 was at 4K at 60 MPH.

Afternoon Jay

Could but the RPM's would have to be pretty low-- once the throttle plates are opened off their stops & the air flow increases then most throttle body clacking type noises go away. Especially the L/H side as that has the added centering load of the TPS.

Both previous RT's owned never had RPM's drop at stops with whirring going on.

You sure about that? Sometimes it's not real noticeable. Mine drops about a 100rpm when the pump kicks on (confirmed by the GS-911).

SILVER-SURFER7

I purchased a new 2002 R1150RT in September of 2001, put about 7K on it before a work injury forced me to sell in fall 2002. Did not like the linked ABS brakes on that bike, plus it also had bad surging issues at low RPM's. Never noticed a large drop in RPM's on it. The 2002 RTP that I bought in 2008, I replaced both batteries when purchased, also had bad low RPM surging but I did like the non-linked ABS police system much better. It also never had a noticeable drop in RPM's.

This 2004 R1150RTP I like much better. The low RPM surging is completely gone, really like the style of this model over the newer models, am looking in to upgrading the suspension to Ohlins soon, its a keeper. If or when the ABS fails, I will convert to standard brakes.

Jay

Archived