IGNORED

What the heck is that noise?

Shane J.

So, friday morning my wife on her '04 r1150rt and I on my '06 r1150rtp were heading up over Togweetee Pass headed for Grand Teton. As I passed car on an upgrade my bike made a horrible screeching sound and I lost power to the wheels. I pulled off onto the shoulder and tried every gear but the bike would not go into gear. When I would try I would get the same screeching grinding noise. I am back in Olympia now with my bike (a story for another time). I am guessing I sheared the splines off the input shaft. Is there another possibility?

Afternoon Shane

Sounds like splines but about anything in the drivetrain that breaks could cause a no-drive (like drive shaft rubber dampener)

Is it a metallic grating type noise or more of a rubber slipping noise?

Stan Walker

Can't be splines, it's an '04. Everybody knows that only the '02's have problems...... :)

Just kidding!!!!

Hope it's something simple but chances are it's the dreaded input shaft.

How many miles on the bike?

Stan

It is a metallic grinding noise. I am going to pull the starter and look inside, then most likely have to pull the clutch and transmission. I am an ok mechanic as long as I have some instruction. Is there a tutorial somewhere on pulling the transmission?

To clarify, the bike would not go into gear after the failure. Attempting to shift results in the noise,

The only indication previous to failure was the gear indicator would sometimes show 5th gear when in 1st until I started moving. On this morning it showed 6th and then 5th and would not show 1st.

It was 46000 a couple of weeks ago but it is over 50000 now. I have only had the bike a short time, it was a replacement for my '04 rtp.

I agree with the consensus. Happened to me on my R75/6 in 1976 late one night. Easy replace on that tranny, but yours, not so much. :P

Sympathies for your troubles.

Afternoon Shane

You might put the bike on the center stand, then (engine not running), put trans in high gear & try spinning the rear wheel.

Maybe you can get it to slip like that & hear where the noise is coming from.

Okay, I put the bike up on the center stand. I can spin the rear wheel by hand in every gear. In neutral there is no noise. In every other gear it sounds like bumpy metal rubbing against metal and is coming from under the center of the bike at the transmission location.

Evening Shane

OK, next remove the starter & shine a light in the starter hole (down onto the trans input shaft area).

Spin the rear wheel again & see if you can see the input shaft spin inside the clutch hub-- If so then you have worn spline problems. (lots of work, expensive, & will probably return again if trans to engine alignment is not corrected)

It sounds like splines, but you could be lucky - when you have pulled the transmission to actually examine the damage it MIGHT turn out to just be the splines on the clutch hub. Last year my spline failure turned out to just be a clutch disk. Input shaft had already been replaced 50k miles previously.

It is a metallic grinding noise. I am going to pull the starter and look inside, then most likely have to pull the clutch and transmission. I am an ok mechanic as long as I have some instruction. Is there a tutorial somewhere on pulling the transmission?

To clarify, the bike would not go into gear after the failure. Attempting to shift results in the noise,

The only indication previous to failure was the gear indicator would sometimes show 5th gear when in 1st until I started moving. On this morning it showed 6th and then 5th and would not show 1st.

I don't know if there is a tutorial per se, but it is pretty straightforward and there are some threads and pics here and at advrider. You need a 30 mm socket, a 12 mm hex socket, and a heat gun.

The next question is how to fix it. If it was me I'd be looking for a known-good used transmission. I'd also get a new clutch disk and one of Cele's spacers to put on it.

I won't have time to get into it right away. Been on the road riding for 2 weeks and since I have my own business, everything is piled up waiting for me to take care of now that I am back. I do have my eye on a transmission from a low mileage bike and it is near enough to me that I can go take a look at it first. Thanks for all the tips.

• 2 weeks later...

Shane: I recently had the same issue and would be happy to help! I'm only a few minutes south of you in Rochester.

Archived