IGNORED

Galfer Brake Line frustration!

jackw

Just finished installing a set of Galfer lines on my beloved 94 rs1100 (abs). Rear line went on perfectly and appears to operate properly, although I haven't ridden it yet. Problem is, the front calipers are now hung up with the pads pressed firmly against the rotors, and won't release. Not pressed enough to totally "lock" the wheel, but enough to make the wheel very difficult to turn by hand. My first thought was that the bleeding was not complete, but after attempting a bleed for several days with no improvement I am asking here...what did I do wrong? I had just changed fluid about 1000 miles ago with the old lines on with no problems. The master cylinder will push a powerful squirt through the vent hole when applying front lever with the lid off the master, so I'm thinking it's not the culprit. Just seems strange that BOTH calipers would fail at the same time. I've tried bleeding the normal way, i.e. squeeze the lever, open the bleeder, shut the bleeder, etc., and also with a Mity Vac, and even a pneumatic bleeder, all to no avail...any suggestions from the gurus?

Morning jackw

Difficult to tell much from here--

Might even be normal as you haven't ridden it yet.

With front wheel elevated off the ground try turning it-- then open both front caliper bleed screws & allow a little fluid to dribble out (caution don't get brake fluid on wheel or bike paint). Do not pump brake lever or do anything except open bleed screws & let a little fluid out.

NOW, try spinning front wheel again-- IF it spins easier then you have something in the hydraulics holding the pads on the brake rotors. (misadjusted master cylinder, plugging in brake lines, plugging in banjo bolt, etc)

If the wheel still drags hard when spinning then your problem is in the caliper or brake pad area.

If problem is in brake pad/caliper area you might try a short ride to see if they will free up (very short to begin with)

Otherwise you will have to address the caliper pistons sticking, or brake pads hanging up.

Hey dirtrider! thanks for the response. ya, that was my first thought too...open the bleeders and that should relieve the pressure thus allowing the pistons to release the pads. well, it worked once. the first time I noticed the problem, I did just that, and it worked, but as soon as I grabbed the lever again the problem returned and now opening the bleed screw doesn't help. in fact, when the screws are opened, there isn't a spurt of fluid from them, which would make it seem that they're blocked. but both of the calipers are sending a strong flow of fluid into the bleeder hoses, especially the pneumatic bleeder set at 100 psi. just old fashioned bleeding with the lever and bleed screw works as well now as any...just takes longer than the pneumatic. guess I'm going to start the bleeding process again with the pneumatic and hope that it frees up whatever is blocking it. was just trying to avoid removing the calipers, since they were working well before I started this fiasco, but I guess that is the next process to try. Thanks again!

Hey dirtrider! thanks for the response. ya, that was my first thought too...open the bleeders and that should relieve the pressure thus allowing the pistons to release the pads. well, it worked once. the first time I noticed the problem, I did just that, and it worked, but as soon as I grabbed the lever again the problem returned and now opening the bleed screw doesn't help. in fact, when the screws are opened, there isn't a spurt of fluid from them, which would make it seem that they're blocked. but both of the calipers are sending a strong flow of fluid into the bleeder hoses, especially the pneumatic bleeder set at 100 psi. just old fashioned bleeding with the lever and bleed screw works as well now as any...just takes longer than the pneumatic. guess I'm going to start the bleeding process again with the pneumatic and hope that it frees up whatever is blocking it. was just trying to avoid removing the calipers, since they were working well before I started this fiasco, but I guess that is the next process to try.

Afternoon jackw

(IF), opening the front caliper bleed screws doesn't help (BUT) you can get brake fluid out of the bleed screws when you force fluid through the front brake system-- That sounds like you have sticky calipers, or brake pads hanging up, (OR) normal dragging pads/calipers that will go away after a short ride.

Before getting TOO involved try riding the bike a short ways, the wheel spinning & brake rotors running through the brake pads might give you enough brake pad kickback to make the problem go away.

(OR), try prying the brake pads back into the caliper's manually with a screwdriver to see if that helps free them up.

Archived