IGNORED

Advice Needed From the Experts

djbock

So have been riding a 78 R100/7 for years and have always been interested in a newer RT. Last week had to get a new front tire mounted for the /7 and the local dealer had a '99 for sale. Needless to say took it for a test ride and fell in love with the ride and now have the bug to find one. Came home and did some research on it to include book prices. Dealer is asking $5000 and list appears to be around $3700, ouch, and he wont budge off of price. 52k miles and only additional option that I can see is heated grips. Local dealer originally sold it new and it has 5 total owners. Dealers has all service records so that is a plus.

Now, have found 2 additional within about 400 miles of my location. 1st is a 2000 with 36k miles no heated grips but has the middle BMW case/backrest included. Current owner has had for 4 years and 5k miles. No maintenance records other than DIY oil and battery change. No visible damage from pictures. He is asking $3700 obo.

2nd is also a 2000 with 42k miles no heated grips and only side cases. Current owner is the original owners son (owned 3 years) and has all maintenance records since new. He states that when his father owned it the final drive was replaced due to failure and he has had the ECU replaced due to rough running condition. Both by a BMW service center. He is asking $3775 obo. Again no visible damage from the pictures.

So, in your opinion would you go for the '99 that is local 5 owner, the '00 with the additional case/backrest unknown # of owners and maintenance or the 2 owner with known maintenance but what I would consider 2 major service items. Or keep looking?

foundationapps

Hi, not exactly an expert on the RT1100, but I've become an self educated highly frustrated maintenance man for one.

Have a 98 1100RT-P. Former state patrol bike. Excellent records. Spent more time working on this machine than my life's previous entire history of motorcycling. Granted this is my 1st BMW, and likely my last.

Semi educated advice.

Price the cost of an HES (235.00) or so, new alternator belt, stainless steel brake lines, fuel filter and fuel lines (their new replacements), tires, ANY lights not working, and subtract that from the cost of any asking price... about 1200.00 or so.

The guy with one for 3700.00 is 750.00 too much. The dealer asking 5000.00 is smoking.... well let's say, it's too much. 5k for a 99 is far too much money. And there are lots of RT110s out there.

It's never left me stranded on the long range highway, but there has been DAYS of non riding time working on this disaster. Was looking at a newer RT, but am going the opposite direction with a 1948 HD Panhead instead.

Afternoon djbock

Unless that dealer is offering a full 1 year warranty I would DEFINITELY walk (actually run away) from that one. Way too much money & dealers are noted for hiding known flaws. (if the bike is that good of a deal then why didn't one of the last owner's friends buy it from him at or just above dealer trade-in value????)

On the other 2 bikes-- depends on bike condition, oil leaks, obvious work done to get it sold, other items that seller owns etc--(if his other vehicles are junk with no signs of care then probably the bike is like that also under the for-sale spit shine)

djbock,

Welcome to the forum.

What color are each of them. :grin:

Seriously, I'd probably not buy the dealer bike. I just think 5K is a bit high. The 5 POs aren't helping.

I'd probably opt for the 2000 with 42K. Father/son owners and presumably you know what you are getting.

Obviously, you need to go see these bikes as body and condition will be a factor.

Do not let the Top Case / back rest thing influence your decision.

BMW Top cases for these bikes are far from the best option. They are relatively small for their physical size, and an aftermarket type of say, the GIVI E55 would be a much better option.

What I am saying is, concentrate on the actual mechanics not the farkles. They can be added/ removed later. You need to but a trusty steed.

The advice that was given about checking out the home and other vehicles that you see there is sage advice. You want to buy from an owner that is meticulous with machinery. What do the mowers, other bikes, boats and cars look like?

Good Luck!

Thank you all for the advice so far. I almost wanted to laugh at the dealer when he said his price was solid even though I told him book list was much less.

djbock,

What color are each of them. :grin:

2 are the dark grey and the other is black.

I was leaning towards the father/son one as well it was the 2, what I would consider, major repairs that had me worried.

The top case/back rest is not part of my decision as I would remove it anyway.

Once again, thanks for the advice and hopefully I can get to see and ride them before they disappear.

• 2 weeks later...

I am hoping to go take a look at the 2000 father/son owned bike next weekend (8/7-8/8) and with it being a 4 hour drive each way was thinking proactively and looking at getting a throttle lock to install before my ride home. Can anyone tell me what size is the bar end bolt and is it a torx or allen head?

You might want to be looking at 2004 r1150rt.

Lots of issues resolved with this year. Not the inherent HES and surging issues that the previous bikes had. If it were me, Id wait for a well maintained farckled-out 04. Farckles add up quickly and reep hardly any value in resale.

Good luck with your search.

You might want to be looking at 2004 r1150rt.

Lots of issues resolved with this year. Not the inherent HES and surging issues that the previous bikes had. If it were me, Id wait for a well maintained farckled-out 04. Farckles add up quickly and reep hardly any value in resale.

Good luck with your search.

Couldn't agree more. Look for a used '04 RT. Arguably the best of the Oilheads.

Many issues resolved from previous years. Most notably, resolution of the dreaded surge after going to the 2 Spark motor, 6 speed tranny, fog lights, 17" rims, bigger motor.

My BIL bought one. A gorgeous bike in Biarritz Blue. Even came with Ohlins and I believe he paid $4900.

RPG

Archived