IGNORED

Motorcycle hits truck while merging

ltljohn

is very lucky. It looks to me like too much speed and not accounting for the marbles in between the merge and travel lanes. What else did he do wrong?
szurszewski

Marbles? Does that mean the things that I think of as Bots-Dots (or some version there of)?

If so, it doesn't look to me like he really "skips" sideways, as one will do if they hit little bumps like that leaned in a turn - it really just looks like he needed to lean/turn more (obviously, I guess, but I think you know what I mean). He certainly seemed to have plenty of tire tread/lean angle left...

Scary part to me is that the car in the outside lane does a good job of slowing/stopping, but the truck just appears to keep on trucking, so to speak, the white SUV slows a little, but then just changes lanes and keeps going around the cartwheeling human that had been bouncing along in front of it. It's creepy and sad to me to think that people would not stop in that situation.

Glenn Reed

Looked like a type of target fixation to me. No sidestep in the gravel and other crud (marbles) that gather in unused areas of the freeway. His buddy went the same basic speed and had no problem at all. I think he basically froze up at that particular throttle opening and lean angle and the bike went where physics told it to.

Very lucky to say the least.

Definately some target fixation, but it seems to me he lacks basic skills and understanding of how to handle the bike.

You can see when he gets on the throttle and passes the sign on the right he seems clueless from that point on. He know he needs to turn, but he just seems to lean a little with his upper body as if this alone will get him off his current line. From then on it seems like he just froze.

Needs to learn ATGATT, counter-steering and trust in his tires.

I don't think he knows how to lean and he took the ramp too fast for his ability. In his mind, he probably turned as tight as he thought he could while accelerating (more than necessary). Unfortunately, that line took him across the gore, cutting off the car and hitting the truck.

I've hit curves faster than intended, and was sure I was going in the ditch. Difference was, I figured leaning more and possibly low-siding was preferable to definitely riding straight off the road. So far the bike has proven capable of tighter turns than I am.

Needs to learn ATGATT, counter-steering and trust in his tires.

I don't think he knows how to lean and he took the ramp too fast for his ability. In his mind, he probably turned as tight as he thought he could while accelerating (more than necessary). Unfortunately, that line took him across the gore, cutting off the car and hitting the truck.

I've hit curves faster than intended, and was sure I was going in the ditch. Difference was, I figured leaning more and possibly low-siding was preferable to definitely riding straight off the road. So far the bike has proven capable of tighter turns than I am.

Been there, done that. A little girls voice was screaming at me inside my helmet: "LEAN, LEAN, LEAN" so I pulled up my panties and leaned and made it around the turn. Then backed off two notches while Bernie left me in the dust on the BRP.

Been there, done that. A little girls voice was screaming at me inside my helmet: "LEAN, LEAN, LEAN" so I pulled up my panties and leaned and made it around the turn. Then backed off two notches while Bernie left me in the dust on the BRP.

Much funnier to read now that I've met you Bud! (No disrespect Bernie, I hear your voice when I read your posts too. :dopeslap: )

Definately some target fixation, but it seems to me he lacks basic skills and understanding of how to handle the bike.

You can see when he gets on the throttle and passes the sign on the right he seems clueless from that point on. He know he needs to turn, but he just seems to lean a little with his upper body as if this alone will get him off his current line. From then on it seems like he just froze.

That would be exactly my take. Very strange, there were any number of things he could have done but he didn't do any, just froze, or as you say made a few ineffective moves with his body. It looks like he simply didn't know how to ride a motorcycle.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Marbles? Does that mean the things that I think of as Bots-Dots (or some version there of)?

You generally hear of "marbles" on race tracks as a reference to the bits of tire tread material, gravel and other debris on the portions of pavement that are rarely traveled by vehicles (i.e. outside the normal racing line). picture here. Race drivers/riders who depart from the usual racing line generally obtain poor traction in those areas and risk running off of the track. You can get the same sort of debris build-up in untraveled parts of public roads, e.g. on shoulders and on the wedges between on-ramps and driving lanes (the latter being what the rider in the video crossed).

In the video ltljohn linked to, I didn't see any loss of traction either;

and you can see it all play out in slow motion. The rider is rock-steady in the saddle, and it appears he just froze up and found himself unable to lean as much as was needed to get through the turn, so he gracefully ran wide, was lucky enough to dodge the car in the first lane, and unlucky enough to collide with the pickup truck in the second lane.

If you back it up to the beginning, you can see that the rider was wearing a t-shirt on top and sneakers on the bottom. Can't tell for sure, but likely his pants weren't armored, either; in short, that crash hurt. A lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Could've ruined cage/truck drivers life by riding under their wheels.

Obvious deficiencies.

Having survived an intentional run over by a truck I can say he was lucky.

I think one of the comments on YouTube said it best, "we call this running out of talent".

Archived