IGNORED

2004 R1150RT Cold Hard Start

mingster

1150RT runs great, but is slow to start when the motor is cool (ie after sitting overnight). Once the motor warms up, it will start immediately. When cool, it may crank for 10 seconds or longer. A new battery had no effect. Any ideas, or anything I can test to help determine the cause? Thanks much in advance!

greiffster

I assume you are using the fast idle?

What rpm does it fast idle after it starts?

Do u hear the fuel pump prime when key on?

Hi Grieffster! Thanks for the welcome and post. Love your photo, btw. I have 2 yellow labs and they also love boat rides!

I do hear it prime when I turn the key. You may be onto something with the idle speed. Once it starts, it fast idles at around 2100, but I have to keep it all the way up to prevent it from stalling out. Once warm, it runs fine and idles at around 1200.

roger 04 rt
1150RT runs great, but is slow to start when the motor is cool (ie after sitting overnight). Once the motor warms up, it will start immediately. When cool, it may crank for 10 seconds or longer. A new battery had no effect. Any ideas, or anything I can test to help determine the cause? Thanks much in advance!

In order to start well the 2004 R1150RT needs four good plugs and good ignition coils. I would begin by making sure that your lower plugs and then your stick coils were good.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=932208&Searchpage=3&Main=84485&Words=roger+04+rt&Search=true#Post932208

Welcome mingster.

Has the bike been serviced?

That really needs to be done to set a baseline.

Spark plugs, Valve gaps, airflow, fueling all critical.

have you cleaned the throttle bodies? The BBS (Big Brass Screws) that control idle can really get gunked up - along with the drillings. These can screw around with start/idling.

What mileage do you have on that bike.

There are many other things that can upset the bike, but for now, are the basics in place?

Morning mingster

Hard cold start can be difficult to diagnose at home without a GS-911 or diligent testing.

So start with the easy things first--

Remove fuse number 5 for about 3 minutes then do a new TPS re-learn- (see if that helps the cold starting)

To Do a TPS re-learn--

(with choke OFF)

*Remove fuse #5 for about 3 minutes, then re-install the fuse.

Then

*Switch on the ignition. (do not start engine)

Then

*Without starting the engine, fully open & close the throttle twice so that the Fueling Computer can register the throttle-valve position.

Then

*Switch off the ignition.

That's it, that re-teaches the TPS where closed & open throttle is.

If no help from TPS re-learn then try holding the throttle twist grip to about 1/8-1/4 throttle for cold starting (does this help the cold start?)

If still cold start problems then remove lower spark plugs after bike sits all night to see if they are oil fouled from oil run down while parked overnight.

If still hard cold starting then you will have to test things like engine sensors, lower plug coil, cold cranking voltage to coils, fuel pump output cold, etc.

Michaelr11
Welcome mingster.

Has the bike been serviced?

That really needs to be done to set a baseline.

Spark plugs, Valve gaps, airflow, fueling all critical....

There are many other things that can upset the bike, but for now, are the basics in place?

Tight valves can make starting difficult. Know that the basics are right first, then you can start digging further if needed.

Archived