IGNORED

Top box lock and that red tab

nortonbrian

nortonbrian

2002 RT, top box lock will not turn, red flag out. Any suggestions before I start drilling out pop rivets! Bike has 70k and idling in neutral with the clutch disengaged i hear a "bonking" sound. It all works fine, just curious.

Thanks to all for the always very good advice on this site.

2002 RT, top box lock will not turn, red flag out. Any suggestions before I start drilling out pop rivets! Bike has 70k and idling in neutral with the clutch disengaged i hear a "bonking" sound. It all works fine, just curious.

Thanks to all for the always very good advice on this site.

Stoopid question, but did you check to make sure the top box's red flag isn't bent or tweaked? I had my top case lock not work once because I inadvertently bent the red tab. Just a light nudge on the tab made it work fine. Be careful, they seem a bit fragile.

Indy

indy is right.

The "red flag" on this being the fix is if the carry handle is extended and the flag of the case is visible . That normally means the carry handle was accidently pushed against the locking handle with the red flag visible.

You get 1-2 bends on the flag before it snaps off partillay or completely so just ease it out a bit if this is the situation.

If both handles are folded in and the lock won't turn, it's not likely the bent flag is the problem but you could look with a flashlight.

You should also spray some WD40 or Triflow in the lock and around the mechanism, give the case a few good raps, turn it upside down if off the bike in case a pebble or bit of plastic is jamming thngs up.

Also make sure you are using the correct key.

You could also remove the lock cylinder and use a screwdriver to turn the mech. In case the cylinder is the culprit.

I just posted a link to one of my videos in the "do it yourself" or whatever section on removing the lock cylinder on a system case when you have no key. Use this one.

nortonbrian

Thanks guys, the red tab was bent, easily straightened and all is well. I just need to give my wife better instructions on closing and locking the box, if I dare!!

Archived