IGNORED

Riding in Southern Wisconsin

BMWfan

Going to be touring southern Wisconsin the end of July, staying in the Dells. Recommendations for rides in the area?

The most scenic and interesting roads will be in the southwest part of Wisconsin. Tomah, Warrens, Black River Falls are not the most interesting areas...cranberry marshes and scrubby pine. Stay west and and south in what is called the Coulee Region.

A coulee is a narrow valley, and they are EVERYWHERE. Many of these lead back to a farm or farms and dead end. Others will have roads that go to the ridges. The roads on the ridges are nice, and very scenic but the real riding fun is found on the roads that climb in and out of the coulees.

Glenn Reed

And if you see a nice little road turning off to the side, and think that it might be good to explore, first take a look at the road sign. If it looks like it could be someone's last name, it's really a long driveway and you will eventually be doing a U turn while the dogs are barking at you.

DAMHIK :dopeslap:

I was wondering about your choice of the Dells.

Are you aware that the Dells is a super tourist area/trap for families? It would be close to the bottom of my list of places to visit on a motorcycle trip.

There are lots of nice areas and state parks around the Dells area, but the immediate area in Wisconsin Dells and the surrounding towns is something you might want to investigate if you haven't already done so.

+1, another vote to avoid the Dells (it's Dollywood North) unless the kids are clamoring and the significant other is insisting. A lovely, peaceful alternative would be to find a good B&B in Galena, IL. Puts you right on the doorstep of the riding area described above. Still kitchy, but all the comforts of grandma's home.

I appreciate the advice, and wish we had researched the area a bit more before renting a house. I have been afraid the Dells is not the best for touring. It appears some good riding exists to the west a few miles. We are also curious about Door County? Any thoughts or advice?

Door County is a well known and well liked tourist area, but without the carnival atmosphere of places like the Dells. It is a peninsula, and a kind of narrow one, so roads can get a bit congested. Since it is an easy ride from Milwaukee and Chicago it gets a fair share of traffic from those places on weekends. It is a pretty area, with great views of Lake Michigan. Speaking of the lake...it is a giant air conditioner. It will be quite a bit cooler as you get close to the lake, which is easy to do since it surrounds the peninsula.

None of that would make me avoid it, just be aware of what to expect and go mid-week if possible.

I appreciate the advice, and wish we had researched the area a bit more before renting a house. I have been afraid the Dells is not the best for touring. It appears some good riding exists to the west a few miles. We are also curious about Door County? Any thoughts or advice?

Just plan on using the house as your base. For the most part things don't get going at the Dells area until a little later in the morning, so plan to be up and on your way a bit earlier than most.

Traffic can be heavy and speed limits strictly enforced in many of the small towns.

Archived