IGNORED

Torque wrenches and measuring torque

Matts_12GS

Matts_12GS

I'm helping a friend do a top end on his electra glide and we are coming to the reassembly phase. With the motor in the frame there are a few bolts that we cannot reach to put a traditional socket on them.

We have been considering using a crow foot wrench to torque (it's a low'ish spec, something 14lbs and 30 degrees?) and I recently saw a thread on another forum about making an adapter using an obstruction wrench from the torque wrench.

All these make me wonder about the actual amount of torque being applied to the specific bolts and brought about 2 questions:

1. Is there a "best practice" type forumla to use for calculating actual torque?

2. If we use either method of adapting the torque wrench, does it matter the orientation to the torque wrench, e.g. @ 000 degrees straight off the end of the wrench, 090 degrees? Etc.

Thanks everyone!

greiffster

1. Is there a "best practice" type forumla to use for calculating actual torque?

2. If we use either method of adapting the torque wrench, does it matter the orientation to the torque wrench, e.g. @ 000 degrees straight off the end of the wrench, 090 degrees? Etc.

I'm not sure if there is a straight up formula for calculating the torque while using a crow foot, but it should be "easy" to figure out. Multiply the set torque on the click wrench times the increase in moment arm due to the length of the crow foot to calculate the actual torque applied at the moment the wrench clicks. So....

If the crow foot straight out the end of the wrench adds 1 inch and the set point on the wrench is 14 ft-lbs. Then 1.08x14=15.2 fl-bs. So when the wrench clicks, you have applied 15.2 ft-lbs to the nut. Always measure from the center of the ratchet to the “center” of the claw.

If the claw is 90 deg. to the wrench arm, than the applied torque should be equal to the click wrench setting (or really, really close).

Danny caddyshack Noonan

If you can get in there with a crows foot at 90 degrees to the wrench body, no conversion needed and it is still true torque.

Archived