IGNORED

Tires on a GS

Bud

Some folks seem to be happy with Shinko Tires.

Anyone else on GS care to opine?

With this set I will only be doing pavement.

roadscholar

You get what you pay for.

That's what most people say when they first get a GS. :wave:

Bud, for pavement only I prefer the Anakee 3's.

Sharon has the Anakee 3's and I have the Bridgestone Battlewings on our Super Teneres. I believe the bikes are close enough to the GS for the tire experiences to be comaparable. Having ridden both, suffice it to say that I just mounted a fresh set of Battlewings on mine. Although I will give the Anakee 3's the edge in miles. Her's still have a fair bit of tread.

The Anakees 3's and BW's were originally mounted at the same time. Grip and confidence are noticeably better on the new BW's, and especially on wet roads.

As the tires have worn, the BW's were still riding like new and I really didn't want to take them off. I went well into the wear bars on both ends. The tires maintained a nearly round profile with no slabbing and just a little squaring on the rear.

In contrast, the Anakee 3's now, with similar miles and riding conditions (other than Sharon's lighter load and sometimes slightly gentler riding style) show signs of wear and she has complained of issues with grip and confidence.

I also have run Tourance EXPs and do not recommend them due to them burning up quickly, and Heidenau K60's which I would not recommend for primarily street riding.

You get what you pay for.

That's what most people say when they first get a GS. :wave:

:rofl:
Matts_12GS

I have run the standard Tourance on my 1200 and gone through about 3 sets of them. Nice tire, good all around tire for rain, gravel, and of course pavement. I like them, but think they are too spendy.

I've run 2 sets of Shinkos, and just ordered the third one, they last about 2000 miles longer than the Tourance on my bike and the set costs as much as the rear tourance alone.

The cheapest part on a GS is the rider, but I will still say the Shinko has done everything and more for me that the Tourance has.

Michelin makes a tire you might want to consider, the Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail. From there literature:

The Pilot Road 4 Trail is meant for adventure touring bikes ridden exclusively on the road. If you are looking for superior wet weather grip & high mileage tire for your Adventure bike the Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail is it!

Of course it doesn't have the "look" that many paved-only GS riders seem to think is important, but the mileage and performance of the PR line is hard to beat.

greiffster

The Pilot Road 4 Trail is meant for adventure touring bikes ridden exclusively on the road. If you are looking for superior wet weather grip & high mileage tire for your Adventure bike the Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail is it!

I wonder if there is an actual difference between the PR4 and the PR4 Trail. If the Trail is made exclusively for road use, then what would the difference be, except maybe tire sizes to fit more ADV bikes? Perhaps a little bit of marketing? It's not like the tires know what kind of bike they're mounted under. :S

I wonder if there is an actual difference between the PR4 and the PR4 Trail. If the Trail is made exclusively for road use, then what would the difference be, except maybe tire sizes to fit more ADV bikes? Perhaps a little bit of marketing? It's not like the tires know what kind of bike they're mounted under. :S

As you suggest, the name seems to be meant to draw attention to the availability of sizes that will fit the GS. Tread pattern looks identical to the other PR4.

Matts_12GS

As you suggest, the name seems to be meant to draw attention to the availability of sizes that will fit the GS. Tread pattern looks identical to the other PR4.

Mayhap Foot will chime in, I know he ran PR4s on Bud's GS, but I'm not sure if it was a standard one or this trail version.

I have run the standard Tourance on my 1200 and gone through about 3 sets of them. Nice tire, good all around tire for rain, gravel, and of course pavement. I like them, but think they are too spendy.

I've run 2 sets of Shinkos, and just ordered the third one, they last about 2000 miles longer than the Tourance on my bike and the set costs as much as the rear tourance alone.

The cheapest part on a GS is the rider, but I will still say the Shinko has done everything and more for me that the Tourance has.

Which Skinko?

Mayhap Foot will chime in, I know he ran PR4s on Bud's GS, but I'm not sure if it was a standard one or this trail version.

He has been running Anakee 3's recently and that's whats on it now. But I'm leaving for CO in less than three weeks and I want new rubber for that trip.

Thanks for the answer Matt! :rofl:

Set ordered and will be here early next week. First time taking tires off 1200 GS, any tricks???? I know that since I have the low muffler, I need to loosen it to get the rear off.

Matts_12GS

I think they mount pretty easily.

Generally I apply a guiness to the inside of my stomach while the new tires are lying in the sun getting warm.

Then, I have a second guiness or at times a Bass ale while removing them.

After that, I have a third of whatever is around while Danny balances them. Simple!

Matts_12GS
Will Danny ride to IL and balance mine? I will provide the beer!!!!

Probable not in time, I've got another set to do soon ;-)

Archived