IGNORED

Bleeder Screws/Speed Bleeder

strataj

A little while ago I asked about which Speed Bleeders I would use to replace the OEM bleeder screws with. I had to do my own home work and now have them installed. The following are good for all Wetheads RT,GS,GSA,R,RS

SB6100 - left front

SB8125L - Right front

SB1010S - Rear

Jay

Is there a clutch slave cylinder bleeder? I know it has mineral oil instead of brake fluid, I assume it needs servicing just like a brake system?

Answered my own question! Service manual says the mineral oil is good for the life of the bike. Topping off the master cylinder is all that should be needed. Thus, a speed bleeder should never be needed. I won't get into other "lifetime" service intervals, instead I will go on my happy way and thank strataj for his effort to name the proper speed bleeders for the brake system. They will be on the way shortly.

realshelby
A little while ago I asked about which Speed Bleeders I would use to replace the OEM bleeder screws with. I had to do my own home work and now have them installed. The following are good for all Wetheads RT,GS,GSA,R,RS

SB6100 - left front

SB8125L - Right front

SB1010S - Rear

Jay

Thanks Jay for your time in figuring this out. Mine are on the way. Even got a call from them yesterday confirming what I was installing them in, as the 3 different part numbers and only one of each is a bit unusual!

SB6100 - left front

SB8125L - Right front

SB1010S - Rear

Jay

Thanks Jay for your time in figuring this out. Mine are on the way. Even got a call from them yesterday confirming what I was installing them in, as the 3 different part numbers and only one of each is a bit unusual!

What an easy job for one person with Speed Bleeders. I've forgot the gals name at Speed Bleeder but she was great to work with and knows the bikes and sizes needed. The 6M is the only strange one for a BMW. Keep us posted

Jay

realshelby

Compared to the '04 RT's brake flush ritual I can only imagine how easy this is now going to be!

I am enjoying replying to posts on other forums about how hard/expensive BMW maintenance is. The new RT is WAY easier to keep up than my V Stroms. Maybe someone in Germany listens.....

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody any thoughts on why the part numbers for the front left and front right bleeders are different? Just took a quick look and the original bleed nipples on the bike APPEAR identical.

Not doubting the info just wondering...

Geoff

Pull the rubber cap and look closer. The left side goes into a threaded boss and has smaller diameter threads. The right side goes into a retaining bolt holding the hose and has much larger threads.

• 2 weeks later...

OK - now I am worried. Just went down and double checked, both left and right nipples are 8mm on mine, and the rear is 11mm! I may be looking at the wrong bit, certainly the part that the bleed nipple screws into on L and R front is different but the nipples themselves are the same. I took pics - will try and post later. No rush I need to change the fluid in September.

szurszewski

The forum software makes it look like you can attach images for others to see, but it doesn't really work that way - you need to host them online somewhere (smugmug or someplace like that) and then you can point to them from here and make them magically appear in the body of your message. If you don't have/don't want to get a photo hosting account, you can email your pic to me and I'll post it here. PM me for the email address if you like.

josh

FYI, that doesn't prove that the threads are the same! Personally, I would tend to believe the person who had already done the work and had taken the nipples out to see what the threads really are!!

szurszewski

I don't understand HTML enough to know (or at all, clearly), but I can't get this forum to display images from google docs - I can get it to display images from Picasa (yes, that's still a thing, apparently) and the URLs look really similar to me ....BUT at least now people can see your pics by clicking your links :)

OK - on closer (very close!) inspection. Indeed although the hex on both is 8mm the thread on the left is smaller (6mm) than the right (8mm) you can just about make that out without removing the originals. Thanks all and apologies to the original poster.

Archived