IGNORED

2015 R1200GSW Stalling at idle

JustFrank

Hey all I'm having a very strange issue with my new bike and was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything like this.

Engine fully warmed up (I usually get this after a significant ride) it seems to idle fine but when sitting still or moving at parking lot speeds the engine will die upon tuning front wheel to the right. It happens about 1/2 way to the lock and once it has done it once, the behavior is very repeatable. This only happens with warm engine and has never stalled while riding.

BMW tech looked into the stalling at the 600 mile checkup and said he could fnd nothing wrong but at that time I was not aware of the steering angle component. I have provided him with the additional info but he seems stumped at the moment. He has a call into BMW Tech hopefully they will come up with somethinng soon.

Thanks Frank A

mountainmann

Sounds like there may be an issue in the handlebar wiring harness. With handlebars straight and engine running (put on centerstand), try wiggling, tugging, bending, etc. the wiring going to the right switch cluster to see if the problem occurs. There could be an intermittent connection.

Yeah thanks does seem like wiring issue except not sure why there would only be an issue when engine hot. I will be going for a ride after work and will give the harness a wiggle. Hopefully BMW can come up with something as well

• 3 weeks later...

I thought you may like an update, The dealer spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting this. Resetting computer settings and and tracing the wiring in the drive by wire system. They were not able to find an electrical cause and were never able to replicate the issue when I left the bike with them. Saturday I was finally able to replicate in their presence and an eagle eyed tech saw the kill switch hit my tank bag. I have made a quick adjustment to the tank bag and so far so good.

the kill switch hit my tank bag.

Yeah, that will probably do it. :dopeslap:

Looking forward to drooling over it at the FART. :wave:

Archived