IGNORED

Uneven wear on brake discs

Sliplake

Disappointed in how uneven the brake pads are wearing, both front and rear. While changing out the rear tire I noticed one rear pad is wearing about 3 times faster than the other. One pad has about 5/8 of pad life left while the other is about an 1/8.

When I had it into the dealer for the rear flange recall a month ago, the mechanic said its the nature of the beast with the RT for these years.

What has been others experience? Front pads could be swapped around but burning through the back at about twice the rate. Uneven wear exactly the same for the last rear set as well.

the mechanic said its the nature of the beast with the RT for these years.

I don't understand why he would say this.

The rear pads are not wearing unevenly. They are simply not the same size. The inside one is thinner.

You have to be careful when you change them to put them right.

The front ones are the same size

Rear%20pads_zps33sizilo.jpg

In my case, the rear last twice as long as the front.

I guess we don't use the brakes the same way ;)

Guest Kakugo
Disappointed in how uneven the brake pads are wearing, both front and rear. While changing out the rear tire I noticed one rear pad is wearing about 3 times faster than the other. One pad has about 5/8 of pad life left while the other is about an 1/8.

When I had it into the dealer for the rear flange recall a month ago, the mechanic said its the nature of the beast with the RT for these years.

What has been others experience? Front pads could be swapped around but burning through the back at about twice the rate. Uneven wear exactly the same for the last rear set as well.

If your rear brake pads are wearing so fast and unevenly, chances are you have a stuck sliding pin: pretty common issue on these Brembo calipers.

The caliper needs to be removed from its carrier and the pin/s polished and greased. Even then, know if a caliper gets stuck once, the problem will reappear down the road hence requiring more polishing and greasing. A new caliper is a huge no-no due to the frankly ridiculous cost and used calipers are more or less a shot in the dark.

What!!

If by "What!!" you mean that you were unaware that the pads are two different thicknesses, yes that is the case. The inner pad starts out much thinner than the outer pad. I suspect it's because the outer pad is the one one that actually contacts the pistons, which are only on one side. The inner pad presses against that side of the caliper, but does not have piston pressure.

JayJay

• 2 weeks later...
Jim VonBaden
the mechanic said its the nature of the beast with the RT for these years.

I don't understand why he would say this.

The rear pads are not wearing unevenly. They are simply not the same size. The inside one is thinner.

You have to be careful when you change them to put them right.

The front ones are the same size

Rear%20pads_zps33sizilo.jpg

In my case, the rear last twice as long as the front.

I guess we don't use the brakes the same way ;)

Exactly. The reason for the two sizes of pads is because you have one side with a piston on it pushing slightly harder than the other. It helps the pads to wear out at roughly the same time.

Definitely clean and lube the pins to reduce sticking.

Oh, and you can't get the rear pads in wrong.

Jim :Cool:

I have a camhead,2012 and I replaced my pads. The front had one pad worn down more than the other. This was both front calipers. My rears were evenly worn. Your fronts perform 80% of the braking load. The rears go along for the ride to assist. I replaced my OEM pads with EBC pads front and rear. I'll see how these will wear out. I feel the uneven wear is normal by design. Don't sweat it. Just do a visual inspection from time to time to get an idea how your pads are wearing out.

Don_Eilenberger
What!!

If by "What!!" you mean that you were unaware that the pads are two different thicknesses, yes that is the case. The inner pad starts out much thinner than the outer pad. I suspect it's because the outer pad is the one one that actually contacts the pistons, which are only on one side. The inner pad presses against that side of the caliper, but does not have piston pressure.

JayJay

I believe the reasoning for the thinner inside pad is - it's the one with holes in the backing plate that are intended as a worn-pad telltale (open your owners manual!.) They designed that pad to wear to where the rotor is visible through the holes before the outside one wears to the rotor. If you look REALLY closely at the holes, you'll see that the pad material is actually recessed a bit into the pad behind the backing plate, so the hole can open up before the pads go metal to metal against the rotor.

Taking into account the difference in thickness of the OE pads - I've found the wear quite uniform between the two.

What!!

JayJay

I believe the reasoning for the thinner inside pad is - it's the one with holes in the backing plate that are intended as a worn-pad telltale (open your owners manual!.) They designed that pad to wear to where the rotor is visible through the holes before the outside one wears to the rotor. If you look REALLY closely at the holes, you'll see that the pad material is actually recessed a bit into the pad behind the backing plate, so the hole can open up before the pads go metal to metal against the rotor.

Taking into account the difference in thickness of the OE pads - I've found the wear quite uniform between the two.

That certainly makes sense, Don. But how to explain that the outer pad starts out several mm thicker than the inner, but by the time the wear indicator shows up the remaining friction material thickness is about the same? At least that was my experience with the one set of rear pads I've worn through, the rate of wear on the outer pad was higher than that of the inner pad.

If the rates of wear were the same, then the inner would go bare with significant wear still left on the outer ...

JayJay

Archived