IGNORED

add your UnRally photos HERE

SANTA

Joe Frickin' Friday

Thanks for sharing your pics, Claus. I saw (and waved to) quite a few Amish folks during my riding at the Un, but never felt comfortable stopping to take pics of them doing their thing. Glad you got a few; I liked the shot of man and horse mowing down the field.

Me, I'm a few days late with pics. I got home later than most, and it took me an extra couple of days to sift through the entire collection, assemble panoramic shots, and figure out which pics were actually worth sharing. Many of these are probably not worth sharing, but I'm going to do so anyway. :grin:

Departure day, the Saturday before the Un:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-001-L.jpg

The bike and helmet were as clean as a whistle, the cleanest they've been in a while. Yes, that's a Mojolever strapped to the back, with a little duct tape providing extra security. I dropped this off with a fellow in Lansing, on the way to catch the Lake Express ferry in Muskegon.

Waiting in Muskegon for the ferry to arrive, I was vastly outnumbered by pirates:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-002-L.jpg

Ah, there's my ride (the sexy boat on the right):

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-003-L.jpg

The busiest tie-down point on the whole dang boat:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-004-L.jpg

As the ferry lumbered out toward open water, we received a farewell tune from a piper wearing traditional Scottish highlands garb (NOT!):

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-005-L.jpg

Wandering around on the ferry, I spotted this interesting looking piece of hardware, a “satellite compass:”

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-006-L.jpg

Whereas a conventional GPS receiver can only tell you where you are and what direction you're moving in, it doesn't tell you which way you are actually facing, which may vary depending on wind and water currents. That bit of information is important for ships, and while a magnetic compass is the conventional solution, they are subject to influence by nearby large hunks of metal and don't work well at high latitudes (near the magnetic north/south poles). The modern solution is a satellite compass, which uses an array of GPS receivers to sort out which way the boat is pointing (and of course they can also tell which way it's moving). In theory two receivers should be enough to do this, but by using three, they can compensate for situations where the boat isn't perfectly level (e.g. very rough seas). The satellite compass works perfectly all the way at the north/south poles, and doesn't care if you park an M-1 tank next to it. :thumbsup:

Leaving Michigan behind at high speed:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-007-L.jpg

Twenty minutes later we were cruising through heavy fog, with the captain blasting the ship's horn every couple of minutes:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-008-L.jpg

Some light reading during the crossing:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-009-XL.jpg

I spent Saturday night in Madison. On Sunday, I headed out early in heavy fog. Within an hour or so the fog was mostly gone, and I came across these guys:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-010-L.jpg

Yes, that's a llama hanging out with the sheep, and she's on the clock.

I wish I was better with a camera, or better at figuring out where to stop for a photo op; I never seem to capture the real beauty of the area. This will have to do for now:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-011-L.jpg

Tanks for the memories:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-012-L.jpg

OK Arnold, I got to da choppa:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-013-L.jpg

Not enough bears:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-014-L.jpg

Still not enough:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-015-L.jpg

Whoa, way too many bears:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-016-L.jpg

OK, that's better:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-017-L.jpg

Plenty of rain on Monday morning. Parking under the canopy seemed like a good idea:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-018-L.jpg

Unfortunately the pigeons thought so too:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-019-XL.jpg

When the weather cleared, Mike and I squeezed in a short ride on Monday afternoon. We made it as far as Grandad Bluff before we had to scoot back to Warrens on the highway:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-020-L.jpg

Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-021-L.jpg

More shirts than you can shake a sticker at:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-022-L.jpg

On Monday evening we overwhelmed the staff at The Bog and ended up waiting quite a while for dinner. They had tasty beer though, so it wasn't all bad:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-023-L.jpg

And after all that wait, the food they served was really good. If you're passing by in the future, plan on stopping there for a meal (assuming you don't see a Greyhound bus in the lot); you won't be disappointed.

In America's Dairyland:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-024-XL.jpg

On Tuesday I spent the day riding with Mike (Mike Boomgarden) and VPRTRL (Mike McCallister). On most of the roads, you could stop pretty much anywhere and not expect anyone to pass you by for several minutes:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-025-L.jpg

Pausing for a photo in Buffalo City:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-026-L.jpg

We noticed the bloodthirsty Viking sneaking up behind us just in time to make our escape.

In Melrose, we caught up with some other upstanding gentlemen on BMWs:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-027-L.jpg

Way in the background you'll see Ken Martin, Dave Cantin, Tom Koerner, and Bob Smyth.

BMW's “urban pacification” bike, ready for action:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-028-L.jpg

Chatting with Ron, John, Rob, and Larry while we wait for our dinner at Cranbrew:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-029-L.jpg

On Wednesday's ride, I snapped a special shot for Endobobdds:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-030-XL.jpg

Up on the capstone, it's easy to see through the turns:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-031-L.jpg

Another disappointing shot:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-032-L.jpg

If you've been in the area, then you know what a beautiful view you get from the high ground, when you can see across multiple valleys and hollows. It's there, but the camera doesn't quite capture it.

On Tuesday night I responded to a post by DrMikey. He lives in Viroqua, and was thinking of coming to the UnRally. He also recommended a particular lunch spot in Viroqua to anyone who might be passing through. I told him I would probably visit on some future trip. As it happened, my route on Wednesday took me within a few miles of Viroqua, so I stopped there for lunch:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-033-XL.jpg

The menu is small, but it's all gourmet fare, and so I'll second his recommendation. After lunch, as I was getting ready to depart again, a fellow came by walking a couple of dogs. As he approached, he called out to me: “hey, are you Mitch?” :eek: Waddyaknow, it was DrMikey! Unfortunately he couldn't make it to the Un, but we chatted for a bit. Talk about crazy timing, for him to be walking by just as I was outside getting ready to leave. :grin:

Around the bend:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-034-L.jpg

Say what you will about zombies, but it seems to me they're very civic-minded:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-035-L.jpg

The waterpark at the hotel was enormous:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-036-L.jpg

And that's just the indoor part. Having spent the entire day working to stay firmly in control of my fate, I found the water slides to be almost panic-inducing. The tube is pitch-black inside, so you can't see turns coming. In addition, you can't stop, you can't even slow down; you're just along for the ride, and you have no choice but to hope for the best. These are all Really Bad Feelings to have on a motorcycle, and I found that I didn't particularly enjoy those feelings off of the bike, either. :eek: After a couple of laps drifting around the “river” on a tube and a couple of runs down the slide, I made my escape.

Ken & Kate, back from a short cooling-off run:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-037-L.jpg

I'm not sure if you were all staring at me, or at the buffet behind me:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-038-L.jpg

Turns out it was the buffet:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-039-L.jpg

Better than it looks – Ruby Chicken and Whiskey-Peppercorn Sirloin:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-040-L.jpg

Hey Marty, nice sticker: :rofl:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-041-L.jpg

Tuesday's ride took us down Swede Valley Road. On Thursday...

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-042-XL.jpg

If there's a Finn Valley Road, I never saw it. :grin:

An obligatory cow shot:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-043-L.jpg

Up until 1986, the road passed through this narrow gap in the rock:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-044-L.jpg

The new road to the right offers safer passage, but this little wayside makes for an entertaining break. There's a plaque mounted on one of the rock faces near my bike, explaining the history of that road.

I ran through the entire alphabet of county roads:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-045-L.jpg

and also found this roller coaster down near Prairie du Chien:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-046-L.jpg

I spent Thursday night with Fernando and Mike at Mike's gorgeous ridge-top cabin outside of Prairie du Chien, where he grilled up some steaks and put together a salad from garden veggies picked only a few minutes before dinner. We should all live so well!

On arrival at the cabin I noticed that there was only a smidge of tread remaining on my rear tire, not enough for the final 360 miles home on Friday. I called a shop and arranged for a Friday-morning tire change, early enough so I could still get to the ferry terminal in Milwaukee in time for the 12:30PM departure. On Friday morning I checked my tires and found that the rear was down to 28 psi. Uh-oh. Either the plug from last fall's puncture was leaking, or there was a new, unseen puncture. Either way, my bike wasn't going to leave Prairie du Chien on this tire. Mike graciously lent me the use of the rear wheel from his R1200ST, so I quickly made the swap and hit the road. I'll be getting Mike's wheel back to him next month, minus 360 miles of tread. As a gesture of gratitude, I'll be filling his tire with pink air:

2015-06-wisconsin-unrally-047-XL.jpg

That's my Un story. Hope to see some more pics from other folks... :lurk:

greiffster

Alan and I took the Great River Road all the way from about Cairo, IL. The river was flooded in many areas south of about Quincy. We had several detours to find. This one in Hamburg, IL.

Un1.JPG

Un2.JPG

We stopped Sunday afternoon in Prairie du Chien at Pete's for a double before heading on to Warrens. You will get your burgers when "Pete" is good and damn ready. Not before. Tasty.

Un3.JPG

Un4.JPG

Here's a shot from the balcony of our room at Three Bears.

Un5.JPG

Nicol and I took a ride into Lacrosse on Tuesday. We had lunch at the Waterfront Restaurant and Tavern. The Mexican Burger on special was fantastic.

Un6.JPG

Un7.JPG

Un8.JPG

Un9.JPG

Facing southwest from in front of the restaurant. The afternoon sun didn't help this picture.

Un10.JPG

We strolled down to City Brewery to see the worlds largest six-pack. It deserves 4 pictures, cuz it's the worlds largest six-pack.

Un11.JPG

This one is my favorite. It just feels ominous.

Un12.JPG

Un13.JPG

Un14.JPG

Nicol hit it off with this guy on the way back to Riverfront Park.

Un15.JPG

Nicol and Hiawatha.

Un16.JPG

Grandad Bluff Park on the way back to Warrens. Again, the western exposure in the afternoon jacked this picture up.

Un17.JPG

On Wednesday, we rode up to Chippewa Falls and took the Leinenkugels Brewery Tour. We both agreed it was smaller than we were expecting. As I understand it, to be considered a craft beer, the brewery has to employ less than 52 workers. They had 47 but crank out a lot of beer. Interestingly, Summer Shandy is their most popular beer and it out sells all of their other beers combined.

Un18.JPG

Un19.JPG

That's at least part of our UN. We had a fantastic time. Let's see some more....

Glenn Reed

Bikes at the Hotel - Bud talking to FB

20150624%20116_zpsus4efvbt.jpg

Another Amarena Red R1100RT, there were three in total!

20150624%20118_zpse5c0czib.jpg

Mike B. Roger trying to talk to Mitch, who's on the phone. Randy and his "special" glass of amber liquid, talking to another member (???) Karl (TestPilot). with a cold Spotted Cow.

20150624%20117_zpsbmlu3mzl.jpg

Homeowner Told Me to take this pic between the house and garage, "You can see all the way to Iowa!"

20150624%20133_zps97s3sugb.jpg

Interesting Road Sign -

20150624%20124_zpsgczewgjc.jpg

Alien House in the side yard of a more conventional house under construction

20150624%20122_zps8xjjifud.jpg

My Bike Looking East to West across the Mighty Mississippi

20150624%20137_zpsobwhexmb.jpg

Nice Older Bike Along the River

20150624%20138_zpspw05gde2.jpg

Lock #9

20150624%20140_zpscookodhq.jpg

LaCrescent Minnesota Looking Back Towards LaCrosse WI

20150624%20141_zps99ssex4n.jpg

There were cows!

20150624%20128_zpsqohcon0z.jpg

Nice report and pictures Mitch! :thumbsup:

Bob, I noticed you were first in line for the buffet. :grin:

greiffster

Roger trying to talk to Mitch, who's on the phone. Randy and his "special" glass of amber liquid, talking to another member (???) with a cold Spotted Cow.

I believe the Spotted Cow drinker is Karl (TestPilot). :thumbsup:

Nice report and pictures Mitch! :thumbsup:

Bob, I noticed you were first in line for the buffet. :grin:

When they said it was time to eat - I was ready! :thumbsup:

We missed you! Hope to see you at this year's FART!

Joe Frickin' Friday

Roger trying to talk to Mitch, who's on the phone. Randy and his "special" glass of amber liquid, talking to another member (???) with a cold Spotted Cow.

and "Roger" is actually Mike Boomgarden. Study up - there will be a pop quiz later. :grin:

Glenn Reed

Ok, okay, so I would have flunked Mitch's test.

I went back and made the corrections, striking through the incorrect info so readers would understand the later posts.

Mea Culpa.

Lone_RT_rider

Ummmm Mitch, is that a FLIP PHONE? :D:rofl:

Were you returning a page? :thumbsup::dopeslap:

Shawn

Joe Frickin' Friday
Ummmm Mitch, is that a FLIP PHONE? :D:rofl:

Were you returning a page? :thumbsup::dopeslap:

Shawn

There's no school like the old school - and I'm the Frickin headmaster. :Cool:

Pretty soon that phone will be vintage-cool, and I'll sell it for a mint on eBay. :grin:

Just for the record, I rode a long way, based on a recommendation by Beemer Boy and his sidekick, to get a special burger in Prairie Du Chein.. But when the windows are closed, it says Open Friday, Saturday and Sunday Only.

But the sign, below the windows, hides that message.

Here is proof!

Un3.JPG

So I didn't get a Pete's burger, but had a great ride anyways.

Just for the record, I rode a long way, based on a recommendation by Beemer Boy and his sidekick, to get a special burger in Prairie Du Chein.. But when the windows are closed, it says Open Friday, Saturday and Sunday Only.

Here is proof!

Un3.JPG

Bud,

You must be dippin' into the MM again. THIS Beemerboy doesn't know any hamburger joints in Prairie Du Chien. You must have gotten the tip from an impostor.

No kidding.

Here is proof!

Un3.JPG

Bud,

You must be dippin' into the MM again. THIS Beemerboy doesn't know any hamburger joints in Prairie Du Chien. You must have gotten the tip from an impostor.

No kidding.

Sorry BB, you are correct, as usual. I don't know what I was thinking or what I was drinking. It was Foot that gave me that info.

Mea Culpa Please forgive the reference. :clap:

greiffster

Sorry BB, you are correct, as usual. I don't know what I was thinking or what I was drinking. It was Foot that gave me that info.

Bud,

According to google, Pete's is 262 miles from Normal (4 hrs, 16 min.). Get on that new GS and go get you a hamburger tomorrow...it's Friday and Pete's should be open. :/

Bud,

According to google, Pete's is 262 miles from Normal (4 hrs, 16 min.). Get on that new GS and go get you a hamburger tomorrow...it's Friday and Pete's should be open. :/

Well, first of all I'm not in Normal and I've never been called normal either.

Secondly, tomorrow I have to pick up two hogs from the butcher as we are putting them in the ground tomorrow night so we can eat them on Saturday.

From my house Pete's is 6.5 hours and 418 miles.

Maybe next weekend? :rofl:

greiffster

Well, first of all I'm not in Normal and I've never been called normal either.

Secondly, tomorrow I have to pick up two hogs from the butcher as we are putting them in the ground tomorrow night so we can eat them on Saturday.

From my house Pete's is 6.5 hours and 418 miles.

Maybe next weekend? :rofl:

Doh! :dopeslap: That's right, Nashville is not normal. :/

Archived