Observations from the road.

Whip

Some of you may know I have been spending a lot of time on the road and therefore at gas stations and truck stops.

It seems to me the food being sold and even prepared at convenient stores has improved dramatically in the last few years. There was time not too long ago when I would not consider eating anything that wasn't sealed in a nice package. Now the grills/ovens at the C-Stores are serving up good looking pizza, burgers, fried chicken, and breakfast tacos.

Not to mention all the fast food franchises sprouting up inside truck stops.

I wonder if this is part of the reason for the decline in neighborhood fast food sales?

Or perhaps your tolerance level has been modified?

:grin:

We had a couple get togethers (El P/BRR) that the hotel had only the gas station Subway w/in walking distance.

Sometimes the bird in hand taste finger licking good.

But, kidding aside, you are right.

A captive market that wants to spend their money and retail

stepped up.

I try to avoid them/and fast food in general, but sometimes convenience wins out, esp if it isn't your regular staple.

... It seems to me the food being sold and even prepared at convenient stores has improved dramatically in the last few years. There was time not too long ago when I would not consider eating anything that wasn't sealed in a nice package.

Yes, same here except I'd not even go for the sealed sandwich stuff. But at a QT gas/convenience store recently, my wife made me try a 'fresh' prepared breakfast croissant and it was surprisingly good. The croissant was light and flaky and the egg/cheese/bacon wasn't greasy and actually had flavor. And the gas prices are the lowest in town! Now they just need to put in some place to sit down :Cool:

My wife and I noticed the same thing. we like the (some) gas station pizzas better than some of the pizza chains stuff. We've noticed some darn good coffee too!

Kinda sorta the same topic, FOOD TRUCKS. They are taking off here like mad. There are festivals for judging the best food truck and there are some very eclectic foods on them as well. I can't help but feel they too are hitting the business of the fast food places.

It's the Food Network. I believe it has raised quite a lot of awareness as to what people like to eat. I know it has for me.

South Texas (Rio Grande Valley) has the best breakfast tacos anywhere at Stripes convenience stores made right in front of you, and you select from about twenty fillings combining them to your tastes.

Stopped to see friends in Cedar Rapids on the way home from the Un. We went out to a steakhouse for dinner, and on the way they pointed out a gas/minimart chain called Casey's. Said they have the BEST pizza, and they deliver. I said No Way, and they said they couldn't believe it either when they moved to the midwest, but it's true.

Didn't get a chance to try it as I was on a mission to get to Salida, CO. Don't know if Casey's actually has great pizza. But I do know where the best homemade chicken/spinach carbonara is served. And where the conversation and the hospitality are equal to the food. :thumbsup:

John Ranalletta

On a ride at the UN, we gassed up at the Kwik Stop in Coon Valley, WI. Coon Valley's population is < 1000, but the Kwik Stop was bustling. A lady approached with 1/2-sandwich samples of their burgers. They had a great selection of hot and cold foods.

Archived