IGNORED

Up north

Steve1962

I spent last week up north, a few days in Glasgow along with stops in the Yorkshire Dales - I went in the car as I was accompanying the wife who had to attend a conference in Glasgow.

As you know a camera is never far away when I'm out and about, whether it be on the bike or not. I'm also a keen historian, in particular military history so when the opportunity arose to visit Stirling Castle I wasn't gonna let it slip by.

It's a fantastic place, steeped in history and also has a museum dedicated to the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. It is packed with great information ,and many personal

artefacts and belongings to soldiers from the regiment covering hundreds of years .

This poignant poem from the First World War really moved me........

P1020652-L.jpg

...no doubt one of many such tales........

P1020657-L.jpg

P1020656-L.jpg

P1020655-L.jpg

Just a taster of what the castle has to offer, i can highly recommend it if you ever get the chance to visit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_Castle

A link to the rest of the photos I took on the trip which included site seeing at :

Ribblehead viaduct

Kirby Lonsdale (Devils Bridge)

Ingleton

Briar Drummond Safari Park

Loch Lomond

The weather wasn't the best, but that doesn't stop me snapping away with the camera.

Steve

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

My granddad was a young soldier in WWI, with a very similar story. Except, lucky for me, he returned to marry his girl. I am always fascinated by the progress we make as a society, as well as the distinct lack of progress in important areas. We have email, synthetic underwear and ballpoint pens, but our boys are still going off to wars that many of us don't really understand.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

My granddad was a young soldier in WWI, with a very similar story. Except, lucky for me, he returned to marry his girl. I am always fascinated by the progress we make as a society, as well as the distinct lack of progress in important areas. We have email, synthetic underwear and ballpoint pens, but our boys are still going off to wars that many of us don't really understand.

Eric,

Thanks.

I have been to Ypres and also seen the open countryside that made up the theatre of the Great War. It is a miracle that any survived, and when you think of the casualties on the first day of the battle of the Somme - circa 58,0000 dead and injured For the British, 1600 for the French and approx 10,000 for the Germans ON THE FIRST DAY ALONE, it is also a wonder what we have not learned as time has passed.

The following lines from the PInk Floyd song US AND THEM always struck a chord with me......

Forward he cried from the rear, and the front rank died

The General sat, and the lines on the map moved from side to side

Steve

Archived