IGNORED

1998 R1100RT - Seat advice.

Reecehk

Last year the wife and I went on a long cruise, about 1,500kms, it was a wonderful time butt the only thing wrong was a sore butt!!!

Every 100kms or so I would have to stand slightly and my wife would kindly give it a short massage!! :grin:

We are planning another trip in a few months and I would like to invest in a new one. (seat not wife)

I have read various reviews and forums but most are conflicting and not much mentioned about the passengers comfort.

Can anyone shed some light on the subject, especially those who ride with a pillion passenger and ride an R1100RT/R1150RT?

I used to have a Corbin on my last bike a K100RT, I loved it but prices have skyrocketed and the cost is now around $1,000 AU.

So I don't want to buy an expensive anchor!!!

The Sargent looks nice but they don't have leather.

Thanks for any advise.

Hi Reecehk.

We have the 1150. The rear seat is the same as yours. We have tried aftermarket seats and can say that the original rear seat is brilliant. There is sufficient supportive padding, but not shaped and so it allows her to move to a different position if she likes.

The front seat on our bike is standard, and i have done a mod which you should too. I will come to that later.

Unless your bike has had the 'optional extra comfort seat' (which is the same seat as fitted standard on the 1150), yours will be narrower. The 1150's seat is much better over distance (and can readily be fitted to your bike - no changes needed - well worth it).

However, do the modification and you may well find that your current seat is perfect for your needs.

So, why the modification, what is it, and where does it go?

a/. The mod is a spacer block that lifts the nose of the rider's saddle up. It stops the rider sliding forward and allows a much more natural position. It also allows you to move position and stay there.

b/. It is a (typically) 10mm shim that fits under the seat adjusting mechanism.

The seat raising mechanism is removed. The shim fitted and then the adjuster refitted with suitably longer bolts.

A while back I had the same question and went with Russel Day Long. One just sold on the classifieds.

Pros:

the seat is "designed" for you and passenger via body description & photos.

Cons:

You have to send them your factory seat they use for the base

It could take several weeks

I had about every brand of seat made on my 1150 RT. Russell Day Long was the only one I could ride long distances without butt pain.

Used Russell Day Long seats show up here frequently in the $350-$400 US range. Some have the wonderful passenger modifications done. Yes they are custom made, but I have found they are not really all that different and a used Russell made for someone else is still more comfortable for long rides than any new aftermarket seats that are not custom fitted.

I can not say enough good about Russell Day Longs - they are great. I just got my newest one back in Feb. 2015. I had a construction date of Jan. 15 so I sent the seats in with pictures before that day. It only took about four weeks to complete and they called me a couple of times during the build to ensure what they saw on my pictures was accurate. They also stated during those phone calls that they were backed up a little due to the sale event they had going on (which is when i ordered so i know it is true). I would say it took about 300 miles and the seat is broken in. Fantastic is all I can say.

Hi Reecehk.

As you can see (and you already know), lots of different opinions.

Please try the suggested modification first. It REALLY transformed my ride. My 1150RT is also a truly day long saddle. I rode down from the Scottish Highlands to Somerset the other day in one hit, with just stops for fuel and a quick sandwich at one stop. I could have ridden further.

Do they sell AirHawk inflatable or the like down under?

Not cheap, but not as expensive as custom saddle and can be moved from bike to bike.

They show up here once in a while.

We use them and sheepskin (pretty sure you have that there :grin: ) for multiday long trips etc.

For us it works.

Our longest days have only been @700 miles 2 up but we could have ridden farther.

Every 100kms or so I would have to stand slightly and my wife would kindly give it a short massage!! :grin:

I sure love my Russell, but it can't do that!

I sure love my Russell, but it can't do that!

Much as I like Bounce, I don't want him doing that.

Nope, no way, no how...

:rofl:

Lone_RT_rider
I rode down from the Scottish Highlands to Somerset the other day in one hit, with just stops for fuel and a quick sandwich at one stop. I could have ridden further.

That's only about 600 miles. What did you do after lunch? :D:rofl:

Shawn

:rofl:

@ Andy, I actually done that mod, yes it raised the front, looks a bit odd but you sit further back. This made the seat more comfy on day outings but still too hard. The picture you posted causes an error but it doesn't really matter, I had found a website that described the procedure quite well.

I am envious of the ride you did through the Scottish Highlands - must have been awesome scenery.

Thanks.

The overall cost or the Russell seats are too high, especially with freight both ways added. I checked the website and it seems they only deal with the US and Canada.

I have had a pm from one of the members here, hopefully something develops. :)

On my 1100rt, I have been pleased with the sargeant seat. However. When my wife rides , she prefers the bmw comfort seat section for her.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes!!!! It's winter here, the bike is de-registered and that is when I do all the repairs and servicing, may as well do it in comfort!!

I would prefer a nice lined shed but no such luck!!!

My wife is ok with it!! :grin:

Archived