IGNORED

Refrigerators

Sonor

So we just became blessed with having to have to purchase a new refrigerator. Our model that was made in 1996 finally gave up. The appliance repair guy (who didn't charge us a thing) said, "buy a new one. All of the new ones are made over seas and are garbage so buy one you like just know, it will need to be replaced within ten years."

So all of that said, does anyone recommend a refrigerator for the house around 25 cf? It does not need to have a water/ice thing in the door but hopefully will perform for hopefully ten years?

Dave McReynolds

Can't give you any help with what brand to choose. 5-6 years ago, when we replaced ours, my wife did a lot of research on the Internet and decided Samsung was the best for the size refrigerator we wanted. Since that time, we've had it replaced twice under the extended warranty. Couldn't be more pleased with Good Guys' service. They came right out within a day or so, decided to replace rather than repair, both times, and the new one was there in a few more days. Don't know what was wrong with it; don't care. In the old days I'm sure they would have tried to fix it, but in today's throw-away society, I guess it's more cost effective to replace unless it's something pretty darn simple. So I agree with your repair guy and recommend the extended warranty, even though that's contrary to common wisdom.

Stan Walker

but hopefully will perform for hopefully ten years?

That's so sad..... 10 years.....

My Kenmore is around 25 years old, I'm hoping for another 10 or 20.

Stan

Dennis Andress

We've bought a couple in the last seven or eight years, more because of moving then any problems. Quality improves with cost. I can see where a middle range model would last no more then 10 years. Higher end models should go much longer.

Dennis, when you say higher end models, are you talking about things like Sub-Zero/Wolf? Because I wonder about that. Twice the price and twice the years of service. Just curious ...

Stan - keep that oldie but goodie serviced. You will not find anything like that these days.

We've been through the top freezer and bottom freezer with French door fads.

I now have a Whirlpool side by side, best one yet.

From my recollection of reliability -- as judged by Consumer Reports surveys of buyers -- the top-end makes were often the least reliable.

Got an LG french door model with bottom freezer a couple of years ago and very satisfied....We were surprised at how quiet it is and electricity use is less.........We use Consumer Reports info when making major purchases......

Dennis Andress
Dennis, when you say higher end models, are you talking about things like Sub-Zero/Wolf? Because I wonder about that. Twice the price and twice the years of service. Just curious ...

Stan - keep that oldie but goodie serviced. You will not find anything like that these days.

No, more like Samsung's top model, or one of GE's Monogram or Cafe models.

We've been very pleased with our two Amana bottom freezer models. Fifteen and eighteen years old, no repairs on either one.

Of course any recommendation based on longevity is rather useless, because you can't know if they still make them like they used to...

Larry - Our current (dead) model is an Amana bottom freezer purchased in 1997. I have been told that around 2003 the manufacturing was changed and that models after that time frame are not expected to last past 10 years. I was also told that most models were made outside of the USA around 2003 and are now lesser quality. I had also been told that government regulations changed the way these units refrigerate and that is the reason. So no matter the reason, durability is no longer a factor: 10 years is what you get. I just do not want to go through this again in seven years, it is insulting enough to deal with it in 10 years. :-)

lawnchairboy

When my grandparents passed, there was still a perfectly functioning 1955 refridge keeping things cool in the basement. This was around 2001. Everything today seems to be engineered obsolescence.

Quality vs. quantity, the paradigm has changed from when I was growing up. I was taught to focus on quality, to purchase quality, to expect quality, to strive for quality, and to be quality. I try to be but don't always succeed at being quality, but hey, I would like to purchase it whenever possible. :-)

Dave McReynolds

When the cost to make the product is less than the cost of the packaging and marketing, you don't really need quality anymore, as long as you can just keep stamping out replacement products. Repair, if done at all, is done at a modular level. If a switch or relay goes bad, plug the unit into a computer and it will tell you which module to replace that contains the bad switch. In my day, we would have located the bad switch. But our perspective is somewhat warped. In Mexico or Russia, they wouldn't stop there; h€ll, they would say, 90% of that switch is still good! Take the switch apart and replace whatever is broken inside the switch. I've known Russian immigrants who have shown me some remarkable repairs and innovations, at least until they figure out how things are done here.

Archived