IGNORED

water crossing on gs series bmw

Matthew Miller

Matthew Miller

I was just curious I have been watching videos of GS bikes crossing deep water. Why doesn't the engine suck in water. It looks like a lot of fun. presently I own a R1100RL. just so you know I am not doing it with this bike. maybe someday i will buy a gs series.

Evening Matthew

Well they will suck in water if the water level gets above the air intake snorkel level.

With the group I ride with some use a remote air intake that is run up about windshield level.

Matthew Miller

thanks, that sounds like a blast. Hope someday to have one. For now I love my 2001 R1100RL. Have you ever heard of problems with water getting past the oil fill plug on top of the left cylinder. Recently I was riding in the rain and noticed water pooling on the oil fill plug. I was told in another post that if oil is not coming out then water can not get in. I am not so sure of this since water is less dense than oil.

szurszewski

Regardless of the physics (or chemistry) involved, if this were a problem, everyone who rode an oilhead in the rain would have it. If water is getting in there, it isn't much - and water gets into your oil in other ways too...and hopefully gets back out as vapor through your crankcase vent.

thanks, that sounds like a blast. Hope someday to have one. For now I love my 2001 R1100RL. Have you ever heard of problems with water getting past the oil fill plug on top of the left cylinder. Recently I was riding in the rain and noticed water pooling on the oil fill plug. I was told in another post that if oil is not coming out then water can not get in. I am not so sure of this since water is less dense than oil.

Morning Matthew

Unless the cap seal is leaking (like oil coming out) the only way water could get in is IF you open the cap with water pooled around the cap.

That cover runs hot enough to evaporate any water on it or in the cap area so it shouldn't take long for the water to disappear.

I have a related question - apparently it's not a problem, but I'd be concerned about running a hot engine into the water and cracking the thing. Has that ever happened to anyone?

roadscholar

I've never heard of it.

Water cooled engine in 70* water

IMG_3204-L.jpg

Air cooled engine in 40* water +/-

IMG_1990-L.jpg

Water cooled in 40*

IMG_1992-L.jpg

Archived