IGNORED

Intermittent start problem

Dtrux

I searched around on the forum for this issue, but did not find symptoms quite like mine -- so here goes:

I have a 2008 RT with 47K miles. For the last year, and much more frequently lately, I will hit the start button when in neutral and the starter does not spin. Sometimes it would start after repeated tries, especially if I just held the button down. Later that did not work, but I found that if shifted into first and then back into neutral that would do the trick. Or I could shift to first (or second), hold the clutch in and it would start. After a while that would not always work. So I had to put it in gear and rock it a bit and then either pull in the clutch or put it back in neutral to start it. Finally, the only sure fire thing is to get a push start and let out the clutch and hit the start button at the same time. It always starts that way.

I live in the southwest US and this usually happens more when riding in very hot weather and direct sun. I know the start switch has issues, but it seems odd that it will usually start if I push it start it (with the button down). That makes me suspect the starter its self.

It always starts when in the garage and fresh off the tender. It seems to happen much more in hot weather and after I have been riding for a while.

Anyone else run into the same issue?

Never had the issue with mine. On one hand, the starter circuit has to pass through a few switches, meaning side stand, clutch and neutral, not to mention to on/off switch. Depending on the starting conditions, starting won't happen unless you do something different, such as starting in gear with the kickstand down. On the other hand, starter issues are something else. Heat can screw with a solenoid, so can a bad ground or positive connection. Have you gone over the basics of checking the ground and positive connections? I wonder if there is a way to jump the switches one by one to bypass to see when it starts all the time?

Morning Dtrux

You have a LOT going on there with ALL you have tried to get it to start with some things working for a while then not working.

No way to tell you much from this side of the internet without real data from you.

You need to get a volt meter on that bike (when it won't crank) & get some real voltage values, starting with the battery, then the starter large stud, then the starter solenoid terminal, then possibly the starter relay.

SO, next time it won't crank what is the:

Battery voltage before key on___

Battery voltage when (key on) starter button is pushed___

Voltage at starter large stud___

Voltage at starter large stud (key on) when starter button is pushed___

Voltage (key on) at starter solenoid (small terminal) when starter button is pushed.

The above should give us an idea on where to start looking for the problem.

Morning Dtrux

You have a LOT going on there with ALL you have tried to get it to start with some things working for a while then not working.

No way to tell you much from this side of the internet without real data from you.

You need to get a volt meter on that bike (when it won't crank) & get some real voltage values, starting with the battery, then the starter large stud, then the starter solenoid terminal, then possibly the starter relay.

SO, next time it won't crank what is the:

Battery voltage before key on___

Battery voltage when (key on) starter button is pushed___

Voltage at starter large stud___

Voltage at starter large stud (key on) when starter button is pushed___

Voltage (key on) at starter solenoid (small terminal) when starter button is pushed.

The above should give us an idea on where to start looking for the problem.

+100

Archived