IGNORED

2009 RT-How to drain fuel tank

alanrt

Gave bike a good wash after 7000 mile road trip, I then noticed that fuel cap was closed over but not fully latched. I believe that some water must have got in to tank.

Any advice for best method to drain fuel tank?

Afternoon alanrt

Best way is to remove the tank then turn it over & empty it.

You can try to get a small hose down in through the filler opening (not much room to work) then siphon most of the fuel out. Problem is: the water usually is at the very bottom & getting down that far is about impossible. If you decide to try this be very careful of the delicate fuel strip running down in that area.

Even rigging up a quick disconnect on the tank pass through pressure fitting then jumping power & ground to the pump usually won't get all out to the very bottom of the tank (especially any water that ended up down in the R/H tank wing)

If it was clean water then maybe a can of DryGas then see if it will run long enough to burn the contaminated fuel out.

I'm sure it was clean water (and probably very little), and there is very little gas in the tank.

I am concerned that I may cause damage if I start it with water in tank.

I support DR's suggestion of removing the fuel tank. It's not difficult (especially compared to earlier RT models) after removing the 4 lower side body parts. There are 3 hoses to disconnect. These are very obvious and accessible on top of the tank. Two are QD pressure lines, one's a vapor line.

The 4 attachment bolts are easily accessible, and a nearly-empty tank makes removal easier.

I do this frequently for cleaning and maintenance.

I support DR's suggestion of removing the fuel tank. It's not difficult (especially compared to earlier RT models) after removing the 4 lower side body parts. There are 3 hoses to disconnect. These are very obvious and accessible on top of the tank. Two are QD pressure lines, one's a vapor line.

The 4 attachment bolts are easily accessible, and a nearly-empty tank makes removal easier.

I do this frequently for cleaning and maintenance.

Morning __

Actually there is one more hose to disconnect-- That is the tank filler cap drain hose that comes up through the fuel pump pass through.

Plus unplugging the pump harness wire connector & the fuel gauge connector.

I dunno, I would remove left upper body panel and disconnect fuel pump hoses, wires etc. and take fuel pump out of the tank. You just need a way to loosen the metal retaining ring. You will then be able to shine a bright light down into the tank to see any water that may be present. Just make sure the fuel level is very low before you remove the pump.

Good luck!

Morning Alanrt

That's the best way as that also allows you to drain that R/H lower wing (that's usually where the water ends up)

Did you find any water in the removed gasoline?

Archived