IGNORED

Dumb move of the day.

Bud

Moving the bike in the garage with the side stand down. Must have kissed the floor with it and when I leaned the bike over, it just laid down. :dopeslap:

No damage, the left mirror swiveled in and needed to be re-positioned and tightened up. :thumbsup:

I did get to practice picking it up. Have to say it was so easy I surprised even myself.

With my RT, I would have been challenged to gain enough traction on the slick floor to do it by myself.

But with the Wee, I squatted down, grabbed the left grip with both hands and stood up. Easy Peasy :clap:

Anyone else here ever made a dumb move????

szurszewski
Moving the bike in the garage with the side stand down. Must have kissed the floor with it and when I leaned the bike over, it just laid down. :dopeslap:

No damage, the left mirror swiveled in and needed to be re-positioned and tightened up. :thumbsup:

I did get to practice picking it up. Have to say it was so easy I surprised even myself.

With my RT, I would have been challenged to gain enough traction on the slick floor to do it by myself.

But with the Wee, I squatted down, grabbed the left grip with both hands and stood up. Easy Peasy :clap:

Nope - not me - never. Well, not yet today (but I've only been up for about 35 minutes).

Glad you're both ok :)

lawnchairboy

Sometimes they nap. When I ride with big-T in the dirt, my DR650's narcolepsy attacks become unusually frequent.

There was the time I tried to put one of the bikes up on the lift and forgot to raise the side stand. All the other bikes were nearby and the result domino effect ending up in a tangle.

It took us quite a while to sort it out without doing damage. Fortunately there was almost no damage.

Bud,

She was going down at some point. Two types of bikes in this world. Those that have been knocked over, and those that will be knocked over.

Years ago, I kicked down my Interceptor into first gear, while it was idling in neutral, on the side stand, in the garage.

Never............I have found (over two times) that the ground was always at fault for being "uneven and too far away".......

Steve

Did it twice in the garage with the RT. First one side then the other....same day with matching road rash on each mirror.

Dave McReynolds

I was recently at a gathering of RV'ers, and we were all camped in a field. (I'm still getting used to saying I'm going "camping" in my luxury trailer, but when in Rome....). At the end of the gathering, I went though the usual routine of getting the trailer hooked up to my truck and ready to haul. Some people stayed longer than others, and there were still quite a few folks around as I pulled out. I remember thinking, "man, I don't remember this field being this bumpy when I came in." About this time, somebody waived their arms at me and pointed out that I had forgotten to retract my tongue jack. The only thing that saved the tongue jack was that I had a piece of 4X6 board under it, so when the jack pulled off that, it was cruising along 2-3" off the ground rather than dragging on the ground, and what I felt was when it hit the high points. After I raised the jack, I wandered back to my campsite to retrieve my 4X6, and I heard someone who was camped next to me remarking to someone else, "I wonder what made him remember that?"

szurszewski
I was recently at a gathering of RV'ers, and we were all camped in a field. (I'm still getting used to saying I'm going "camping" in my luxury trailer, but when in Rome....). At the end of the gathering, I went though the usual routine of getting the trailer hooked up to my truck and ready to haul. Some people stayed longer than others, and there were still quite a few folks around as I pulled out. I remember thinking, "man, I don't remember this field being this bumpy when I came in." About this time, somebody waived their arms at me and pointed out that I had forgotten to retract my tongue jack. The only thing that saved the tongue jack was that I had a piece of 4X6 board under it, so when the jack pulled off that, it was cruising along 2-3" off the ground rather than dragging on the ground, and what I felt was when it hit the high points. After I raised the jack, I wandered back to my campsite to retrieve my 4X6, and I heard someone who was camped next to me remarking to someone else, "I wonder what made him remember that?"

One time, while borrowing my parents' RV for a family trip to the coast, on the last day, I drove it down onto the beach....insert long and amusing story....

Upon returning it to my folks I told my dad there were some new bits on it (parts of the propane system, mudflaps, some other low hanging fruit, so to speak), and then told him why. His reply: yeah, I drove it onto the beach ONCE....

Sometimes we all have those days.

Once in the mountains of NC, I came to a stop on a steep slope (high side was the right and the low side was the left). I miss judged how steep the slope was put my left foot down to come to rest and it was too much weight at too great of an angle. The bike gently laid down on the left. I just could not hold that much weight up at that angle. I have learned, on a sloped stop, make sure to lean high side. :-)

Yup - sadly, been there...

On a moto trip with buds visiting one guy's relative in hills above Santa Cruz, we pulled up on the street in front of house and parked. I did so with former 07 RT on opposite side of street which was slightly sloped. Backed it in, got off, put on sidestand in gear, wiggled it to test it was secure, then started to remove my helmet. Half way off, I sensed motion and saw it falling away to right side away from sidestand as it crashed against the raised curb. Lots of damage, including mirror housing, upper fairing cowling, cyl head cover and plastic guard, etc. Enough so that it was the only insurance claim I've ever made on a moto. It wasn't pretty but was rideable home. Moral of the story: always remember that Gravity Sucks.

I've had a couple of tip-overs. One so disastrous that I can't bring myself to write about it. The one that I will share occurred on a ride home from North Carolina years ago, when I rode an ST1100. I was getting dog tired and, though I was just a couple hours from home, felt that I was getting dangerously fatigued.

This was confirmed as I pulled off the highway and into a hotel parking lot, dismounting without putting down the sidestand. It was enough to wake me up. :grin: Fortunately, the ST1100 had handy-dandy tip-over guards that prevented any real damage. I scuffed up a little vinyl and that was it.

Gravity Sucks.

It does do that.

My confessional dates to 2002, riding in Austin, TX - one of the Lake Travis neighborhoods. A steep downhill stop-sign intersection also sloped down to the left and up to the right as they cut through rock to build it. I stopped abruptly while setting up for a right turn as I could not see that crossing pick-up truck until late and deep into the intersection. I go to put my left foot down and it catches nothing but air. I let go of the brake a bit to start rolling some to gain control, then hit the front brake (oops) to avoid becoming a hood ornament. Wheel turns to the right, and off I go to the left. I mostly catch the bike to slow the fall, but due to the steep grade of the hill the bike lands on its side and begins to slide toward me. The one-foot slide of shame - watched the whole thing in high def super slo-mo. The left saddlebag lid took the brunt of it, and has a nice vertical mark in it.

The pick-up driver saw my misery, stopped, got out to help, stood next to me as we stared down at the fallen Grape-Ape in a moment of sorrow. He then broke the silence with a resounding "That sucks." That RT sure was heavy, particularly when the seat was a foot lower than the tires.

Never did that again.

Dave_zoom_zoom

Moral of the story: always remember that Gravity Sucks.

Yes, But I find it quite consistent. :)

Dave

Gravity Sucks.

Yes, But I find it quite consistent. :)

Dave

I'm so thankful that is true. I find it most useful when riding where gravity provides the traction necessary to ride fast enough to chase Bernie! :grin:

markgoodrich

Yeah. I have $100 deductible for just this reason. I used to have a rule that I should drop the bike at least once a year, preferably in the driveway. My new rule is going to be, "when you buy a new bike, go home, get off, leave the stand up, and step away." Should immunize the bike.

Bill_Walker
Bud,

She was going down at some point. Two types of bikes in this world. Those that have been knocked over, and those that will be knocked over.

I have to say that my DL1000 never fell down during my ownership. My RT, not so much. My KLX, not yet.

one time at a bike night with 200 Harley's I dropped my K12RS after using the front brake while the steering was turned tight to one direction. have to say the Harley guys were gracious. A couple of "bruisers" even helped me pick it up..

Nope. Never. Not a once.

So, is everyone's BS-o-meter working properly?

Bud,

I have to say that my DL1000 never fell down during my ownership. My RT, not so much. My KLX, not yet.

Bill, you are an "upstanding" rider. :wave::grin:

Years ago I and my first big bike (Nighthawk 750, kinda small now LOL) I had parked in a mall parking area. I was hurrying to meet a friend then going to head out for a ride. I came to a complete stop, hit the side stand, heard it click, and started to lean the bike. The click I hear was the sound of it bouncing back up. So there came a time when that lean was more than my body and legs could support. It went over gently, but embarrassment was me that day. Since then I have grown, gotten stronger, and most always look to ensure that side stand is down.

(okay, that's the last of my really embarrassing stories)

With a ~29"-30" inseam, and a preference for LT/K16/RT-size bikes, I have perfected the art of gently easing a bike to the ground while looking like it was a planned maneuver of an expert rider ... :grin:

Stan Walker

Most recent dumb move (yesterday)....... Still doing OK today, but the day is young.....

I'm leaving on a 14 day motorcycle trip on the 1st of next month.

Trying to fix a minor problem on a feature I don't even use I decided to update the firmware on my Garmin Zumo 590LM. Murphy has been waiting for this moment. Bricked it. Dead. Now I have an expensive paper weight!!!

I knew better..... I really did. Dumb Stan DUMB!!!

:cry:

Called Garmin. No joy. They tried but couldn't resurrect unit over the phone. Return to factory please.

:cry::cry:

With the liberal use of my credit card they will ship me a unit before receiving mine! What the heck, it's just money...

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Actually pretty happy with how it worked out. I'll get the refurbished unit in time for my trip. Since the repair is technically under warrantee the net cost should be close to $0.00 (after they receive my brick). And no charge for the education....

:clap:

Stan

Most recent dumb move (yesterday)....... Still doing OK today, but the day is young.....

I'm leaving on a 14 day motorcycle trip on the 1st of next month.

Trying to fix a minor problem on a feature I don't even use I decided to update the firmware on my Garmin Zumo 590LM. Murphy has been waiting for this moment. Bricked it. Dead. Now I have an expensive paper weight!!!

I knew better..... I really did. Dumb Stan DUMB!!!

:cry:

Called Garmin. No joy. They tried but couldn't resurrect unit over the phone. Return to factory please.

:cry::cry:

With the liberal use of my credit card they will ship me a unit before receiving mine! What the heck, it's just money...

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Actually pretty happy with how it worked out. I'll get the refurbished unit in time for my trip. Since the repair is technically under warrantee the net cost should be close to $0.00 (after they receive my brick). And no charge for the education....

:clap:

Stan

We only gain experience by making mistakes. :(

I remember way back in 1978-1979 when a moto buddy bought a new Zuk GS1000 which was (um) too tall for his inseam. Also remember that he bought it, then "sneaked it" to another friend's garage 'cus he was worried about what the wife would say having purchased without discussion beforehand.

OK, now flash soon after to a ride to the famous Rock Store (even then) in Santa Monica Mtns. As he turned into the area in front where most prefer to park and with several other motos already parked in a line, he stops, puts his left foot down into (oops) a pot hole. With everybody watching, not only did he go down but that also caused a domino affect to motos parked adjacent. Talk about embarrassing... :P

On a charity ride a few years ago I had a passenger on board and scraped the side stand during the ride. Later on my ride home I stopped for gas and the bike would not start. Middle of Summer and I'm stripping off the tupperware to get to the side stand switch so I can bypass it and go home. Drenched in sweat, I finally bypass the side stand and still no start. I then look at the hand grip and see that when I got off the bike to fill up, my jacket sleeve caught the kill switch. Flipped it back to RUN and all is well, except now I have to reinstall all the body panels.

Archived