IGNORED

Mostly Goodby

g_frey

Well after my second motorcycle accident in a year I am not fixing my 1150 RT up to ride. I have 4 fractures in my hips and one in my back. A 17 yr. old kid backed out in front of me while I was going down the road. I don't remember much about the accident except for pain after I regained consciousness. It has been 7 weeks now and the pain is still going on. The kid, I am told, was going around saying that he was in a hurry and didn't see me. When I saw the lackluster police report I was not a happy camper. The police said it was due to "mutual inattention". Luckily there was a witness who saw it all. So their insurance company will pay for it, at least partially. I am just too old for big luxury bikes anymore. I will still follow along on the forum. Still envy the guys on the road on their BMWs.

What would you know about a busted pelvis?

Oh, yeah.

;)

I've got a pic floating around somewhere but, it'd probably spoil a lunch or two if I was ever dared to post it. ;):grin:

Pat

Heal well, brother. I hope the pain diminishes.

It is the risk we take by riding. As I get older I consider the trade-offs more and more.....

CoarsegoldKid

Without pics...

After going through about 16 weeks of the healing process for a broken hip I feel your pain. I know your pain. The screws, rods and nails remind you every step that your broken. I'm very sorry to hear of this accident.

Your mind will send you on a roller coaster of thoughts. Keep positive thoughts.

I slowly climb onto my KTM690 often to just to start it and rev the engine a bit. The BMW idles. It's all I can do but it keeps me positive.

All the best to you.

Well after my second motorcycle accident in a year I am not fixing my 1150 RT up to ride. I have 4 fractures in my hips and one in my back. A 17 yr. old kid backed out in front of me while I was going down the road. I don't remember much about the accident except for pain after I regained consciousness. It has been 7 weeks now and the pain is still going on. The kid, I am told, was going around saying that he was in a hurry and didn't see me. When I saw the lackluster police report I was not a happy camper. The police said it was due to "mutual inattention". Luckily there was a witness who saw it all. So their insurance company will pay for it, at least partially. I am just too old for big luxury bikes anymore. I will still follow along on the forum. Still envy the guys on the road on their BMWs.

Ouch just doesn't cover that. I'm very sorry to hear of all you've been put though. I sure hope you mend well and that over time your pain dissipates to only a memory. I highly doubt that police officer would make that mistake if he'd ever experienced injustice that meant weeks or months of painful mending. :mad: How did "I was in a hurry" turn into an excuse? :dopeslap: Can you tell I don't have much sympathy for the perp or the cop? Only for you..........be well........it will get much better, but it can take a damn long time, sometimes. Medicate that pain as your doctor suggests, keep your mind occupied, do your therapy and vent when you need to. That is a really good reason for sticking around, because other riders get it.

We're always here for you. :thumbsup:

Ouch just doesn't cover that. I'm very sorry to hear of all you've been put though. I sure hope you mend well and that over time your pain dissipates to only a memory. I highly doubt that police officer would make that mistake if he'd ever experienced injustice that meant weeks or months of painful mending. :mad: How did "I was in a hurry" turn into an excuse? :dopeslap: Can you tell I don't have much sympathy for the perp or the cop? Only for you..........be well........it will get much better, but it can take a damn long time, sometimes. Medicate that pain as your doctor suggests, keep your mind occupied, do your therapy and vent when you need to. That is a really good reason for sticking around, because other riders get it.

No need to denigrate LEO's because the OP says the report was "lackluster" or he does not agree with the conclusions. And thinking the cop was biased in the investigation because he never felt the pain of a long recovery is preposterous. Any LEO who allows personal feelings to taint a report would be reprimanded and fired. None of us witnessed the OP's collision and we are only hearing one side of the story. Involved parties in a collision will often disagree if the conclusions do not favor them. Collision reports represent the utmost in unbiased reporting of facts, statements and opinions. The LEO is an uninvolved and objective third party to the collision. The LEO does not gain anything by siding with one party or the other.

Let's keep the thread on track by wishing the OP all the best in his recovery.

No need to denigrate LEO's because the OP says the report was "lackluster" or he does not agree with the conclusions. And thinking the cop was biased in the investigation because he never felt the pain of a long recovery is preposterous. Any LEO who allows personal feelings to taint a report would be reprimanded and fired. None of us witnessed the OP's collision and we are only hearing one side of the story. Involved parties in a collision will often disagree if the conclusions do not favor them. Collision reports represent the utmost in unbiased reporting of facts, statements and opinions. The LEO is an uninvolved and objective third party to the collision. The LEO does not gain anything by siding with one party or the other.

Let's keep the thread on track by wishing the OP all the best in his recovery.

From personal experience I disagree. If you ever want to keep a thread on track you use PMs, Bob.

Society is getting sicker by the day!! Every time I read something about a person or a cop that either just writes something off as an excuse or uses the BS, "I just did not see them" it really pisses me off. Justice, as it is supposed to be known as, means the kid admitted guilt and is written up correctly as such. It also means that just because you were on a motorcycle that you should not have implied blame. That is as stupid as saying, well the lady deserved to be raped because of the dress she was wearing. GIVE ME A BREAK!! This whole idea that because there is a collective mindset that something is correct and respond to it is wrong. A collective societal mindset is not correct just because it is a majority rule. In other words, just because the societal mindset says motorcycling is dangerous and they deserve it or because the bike and rider are small it is okay to say, "I didn't see them" needs to be challenged in court - that societal norm SUCKS.

Heal well and know there are lots of us out here supporting you.

Hope you mend well, and sorry to hear you're throwing in the towel.

I'd pursue the claim with his insurance company. I always understood that in most places - in a collision, if one party was backing up, it's pretty much their fault, unless the other driver was doing something grossly out of line.

(Years ago, I was backing slowly out a parking space in a parking lot, and someone doing about 40 MPH went by, and tore the outer skin off almost the entire side off his car on my trailer hitch. It peeled the car open like a can of sardines. The officer who took the report faulted the other driver at 75%, since the damage to his car was pretty much the same depth the entire length of the vehicle, making it pretty clear that I wasn't moving at the time of impact, and that he WAS moving at an unreasonable speed.)

Mend soon. Life is dangerous, it eventually kills almost everyone. Get well, hang out here and I'll bet some day you will ride again.

Mend soon. Life is dangerous, it eventually kills almost everyone. Get well, hang out here and I'll bet some day you will ride again.

This reminds me of my neighbor who told me her dog was "terminal", about 2 years ago. I told her we all are ;)

Thank you all so much for your replies and best wishes. I have determined that the age of me (65) and the weight of the 1150RT bike (621) no longer are sympatico. I do not know if this had anything to do with the accident since I don't remember it. The LEO may have been right but the eyewitness said the kid backed out fast without looking and got me on my right side. Oh well the bike was totaled out by the adjuster. I think I could fix it back up but just don't want to with 9,000 $ in damages. In the meantime I am contemplating getting a light bike with an automatic transmission since my ankle is banged up too. Next time I almost hope it kills me if I have another accident. What a waste of time, I have determined that my ceiling has an almost unlimited number of animal faces in the random paint gobs up there. No one else can see them I guess. Again thanks for all the well wishes!

Dave McReynolds

I'm really sorry to hear of your accident, and hope you recover fully and quickly. We all have to face our own mortality at different times and places. I consider myself lucky that I was actually aware of my own decreased reaction time with age, and made the decision to stop motorcycling when it became evident to me that I no longer had the same control over it as I had before. I suppose I could have decided to move to a more conservative mode of riding and could have continued a while longer, but I knew what I liked and that the temptation to go faster would always be there.

I'm not advocating that you or anyone else make the same decision I did, and hope that whatever decision you make turns out to be ther right one for you.

Archived