IGNORED

Saddle bags same on 1100RT vs. 1150RT?

Squirtstoy21

Squirtstoy21

I am wondering if they are the same size? I put my helmet in the trunk and my wife wears a full face also. I have been putting her helmet in the side bag and sometimes it is really tight. Do you know if they are the same depth?

Thank you

Craig

greiffster

Craig,

I think they are, but someone else needs to confirm this. But, there are different width lids that expand or narrow the cases. The "City" lids are a bit narrower.

The R11xxRTs use the same saddlebags (full depth on both sides, i.e., no cut-out in the inside half of the case for a high muffler like on the R1150GS). There are three outer lids -- standard (the stock lid on all civilian 11xxRTs), City lids (stock on the R11xxRT-P (authority bikes)) which are nearly flush with the inner half of the saddlebag, and Touring lids, which are ~3" wider than the standard cases.

The standard lids will usually *just* take a helmet if the helmet is positioned correctly. The Touring lids easily swallow a full-face helmet, but the overall width of the bike across the bags is wider than the bike width across the RT mirrors, so you have to keep that in mind in close quarters.

While they are wider, I use the Touring lids on my daily commuter RT-P -- the extra space is very handy, and I've not had any problems in Wash., DC rush-hour traffic. No lane-splitting here. They do make your (bike's) butt look very big :D

Squirtstoy21

Thank you for your information. I am going to go and look for some. I need the additional touring lids. Do you know of a good source to buy them? I hope you ride safe and again, thank you for your insite.

Craig

They pop up in the classifieds once in a while. I had to replace one recently due to a cage encounter, and my dealer found one in the parts stock system.

Squirts : I picked up a pair of touring lids through the Classified section on this list last year. They make the bike about 1 meter wide, but the added space is useful when travelling 2-up. Surprisingly, I haven't noticed any difference in gas mileage.

P1110033.JPG

Yes you do but don't let that scare you. There's nothing to drilling out rivets. If I remember correctly the touring lids will come with nuts and bolts to put the new lids on.

I bought a set of quick change hinges that let me swap out lids without using any tools. I don't remember the name of the hinges and it probably wouldn't matter since I don't believe they're available anymore.

Most likely Kugler Klamps.

No longer made.

I still have a NOS unopened set or two, but not for sale, sorry.

Yes you do but don't let that scare you. There's nothing to drilling out rivets.

Agreed, but don't let heat build up, and don't let the rivets spin in their bores, or you'll melt the plastic of the shell.

A sharp bit, driven at moderate speed, will quickly slice large chunks out of the soft Aluminum rivet. No need to hit it with blistering speed.

Archived