IGNORED

Tank Bag Assistance

RedMac

Posted in Gear forum without much success. Thought I would try here..

So I have the giant BMW Tank Bag, which I really don't care for much, but use it when I need a ton of storage. To fix that, way back when I bought a Big Mak bag and another factory bag in bad shape to get the baseplate. The Big Mak bag was made to fit on the factory baseplate and I really like the bag. But sadly, the bag has now seen better days and starting to disintegrate. The Big Mak maker (Mark) Is out of business AFAIK, so I can't get another one.

Part of the reason I bought the Big Mak bag is I love the factory baseplate mounting system and would like to replace it with another bag that I can convert to fit on the baseplate. Has anyone else done this with another brand/type of tank bag (fitted to a factory baseplate? I'd like something fairly small, part of the reason I don't like the BMW bag is the sheer size of the bag. The big mak bag is about 1/4 the size and just what I need to put sundries in (sun screen, ear plugs, phone, etc..)

Thanks in advance for any advice or experiences.

Doug_Baliko

I did this with a Touratech Flat tank bag and it works very well. (For me anyway)

I'm not good at posting pictures to this board but I can email you a couple if you like.

Doug

I did this with a Touratech Flat tank bag and it works very well. (For me anyway)

I'm not good at posting pictures to this board but I can email you a couple if you like.

Doug

Doug...I have a Touratech Flat And an old BMW bag (never used)....I would appreciate pictures and info on how you mated the two...I like the Touratech and it would be even better with the easy flip-up when fueling........

Thanks in advance....

Phil......(Redbrick)

Doug_Baliko

Doug

Doug...I have a Touratech Flat And an old BMW bag (never used)....I would appreciate pictures and info on how you mated the two...I like the Touratech and it would be even better with the easy flip-up when fueling........

Thanks in advance....

Phil......(Redbrick)

I have used this setup for several years now and it works great for me. I emailed you several pictures.

Doug

I also use the small Big Mac tank bag made made for the 1200 baseplate. A friend uses a small Cortech bag on the Factory basepate looks good, you might check that out.. :thumbsup:

Morning Mike

Mark built those original Big Mak 1200RT (base plate mount) tank bags to diagrams & dimensions that I sent him as he didn't have access to a 1200RT or a naked base plate at that time.

If you can find someone to build the bags I t-h-i-n-k I still have the cardboard profiles & original layout pictures.

I have found a few newer tank bags that will fit the base plate OK but they don't have the correct side contour to clear the handlebar switches at full lock on the 05-09 1200 bikes.

Thanks Dirtrider (I can always count on your to chime in with good info!). Doug sent me pictures of the touratech bag mounted on the plate. Looks pretty good and he said the handlebars barely touch when locked over. I think the price on the touratech bag is a bit high at 200.00 but I think I'm going to order that and give it a shot...

Mike

Evening Mike

I can't remember who but someone makes a horn button protector so your horn won't toot every time you make a tight L/H turn on the steering lock.

Dave_in_TX
Evening Mike

I can't remember who but someone makes a horn button protector so your horn won't toot every time you make a tight L/H turn on the steering lock.

I think that someone is Wunderlich.

Archived