BMW Paint

foundationapps

foundationapps

Good morning.

My 98 RT could use a good buffing on the tank and trunk plastic. Does anyone know if that era paint is "buffable" like the paints used in the 70s and 80s. I'm talking about the compounds with the super fine "grit" for buffing out sad looking paint.

Respectfully

Your bike left the factory with a base/clearcoat paint system. I assume that since the topcase has faded, that it was painted to match the bike. Typically, base/clear paint systems do not fade or become chalky in appearance. It may be that your tank and topcase, and possibly other parts of the bike were repainted using acrylic enamel os some other epoxy or 2-part paint system but not clearcoat. That could result in oxidizing of the paint surface. It may be restored by buffing but be careful and try it in an inconspicuous place. If it is clear coated and you polish through the clear, you're in trouble.

As the previous reply suggests, take it to an expert and have them examine the paint to determine what you're working with.

The factory paint on BMW bikes is top quality and among the most fade resistant of anything out there.

foundationapps

Thanks to PAS and Rawed.. Going to the beemer shop in SLC to consider upping the machine to one of the 13 or 14 year RTs they've taken in. I'll get their input while I'm there. A fun day of test riding tomorrow, I'm going to ride at least 8 bikes, but am going to buy something for sure. MIGHT, keep this old RT though and pass it on to my son.

Archived