IGNORED

Dead Center In The Middle of Nowhere - 2016 (May 20-22)

Twisties

• 1 month later...

Hwy 3 still closed (and will be for quite some time) 8 miles above Weaverville, but there are plenty of ways around it especially if you don'[t mind a little dirt!

• 2 weeks later...

CalTrans is predicting Rte 3 Open May 17.

Patty at the Red Hill says she is full up.

See you in a few weeks!

FlyingFinn

I'll be riding up from the Bay Area starting either Thursday or early Friday morning. Planning to take as small and fun roads as possible all the way to Weaverville.

Anyone wanna join in?

I'll be riding up from the Bay Area starting either Thursday or early Friday morning. Planning to take as small and fun roads as possible all the way to Weaverville.

Anyone wanna join in?

Yeah, I do! But I think I might be coming from the other way. :cry:

The ride out to Mendocino/Ft Bragg is great. Assuming you are on the GS: The ride from Garberville up through Alderpoint and VanDuzen Rd is decent. The Lost Coast is certainly an option, although over-rated IMHO. Both of these are remote, mostly paved, but rough.

Looking forward to seeing you!

FlyingFinn

Thanks for the tips!

I have few fun looking routes planned, including the Van Duzen Rd.

Just wondered if anyone else is coming from around here who might want to ride together.

See you guys there!

Anyone wanna join in?

Good chance we'll be in the Richmond District Thursday. Leaving on Friday for the ride to Weaverville. MIKKO, Wondering what your schedule is for a Friday departure, and where we might meet?

:wave:

FlyingFinn
MIKKO, Wondering what your schedule is for a Friday departure, and where we might meet?

I can leave any time on Thursday or Friday.

The only plan I have is to get to Weaverville for Friday night, and as much as possible, stay on small roads on the way to there.

Depart time Friday? What are you thinking for a route? Like the idea of little to no frwy. We'll be on an RT so, any serious GS roads would be out for us.

FlyingFinn

I've planned two routes, one staying closer to the coast, and another following the Sierras. But everything is just a guideline, what ever road looks fun, I'll take.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-08%20at%209.34.50%20PM_zpsokkd6orz.png

FlyingFinn

Good point.

CalTrans camera on SR 44 at the Lassen Park north entrance shows clear road and no white stuff in sight.

Lassen Park

So even if the 89 is still officially closed, I'll probably go and take a look.

One of my most memorable riding experiences was riding the SR 410 in WA from Mt. Rainier park to Yakima one spring when the road was still closed.

There was lot of debris on the roadway (trees, rocks, you name it) but all the snow was gone. I had tens of miles of a twisty mountain road all to myself!

No RVs, no cops, not a single other vehicle on the road.

Oh yeah, I was riding a VFR at the time... Wroom wroom! :grin:

Mikko

Bill_Walker
I've planned two routes, one staying closer to the coast, and another following the Sierras. But everything is just a guideline, what ever road looks fun, I'll take.

Your Sierra plan is just like mine, except that mine starts farther south and joins yours from 49. My current plan is Wednesday night in Three Rivers, Thursday night in Kings Beach.

Do we have a current attendee list?

Just wondering what the head count is.

Anyone know if the slide on 3 has been cleared?

MB>

Bill_Walker
Hmmm... What route are you taking from Three Rivers? 49?

Through Sequoia National Park, and winding around a bit to get to Oakhurst, then 49. Kinda like this: Route

Bill_Walker
Hmmm... What route are you taking from Three Rivers? 49?

Through Sequoia National Park, and winding around a bit to get to Oakhurst, then 49. Kinda like this: Route

However, I just checked and CalTrans says that CA-4 "IS CLOSED FROM THE EAST END OF LAKE ALPINE TO THE JCT OF SR 89 /EBBETTS PASS/ (ALPINE CO) - FOR THE WINTER - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE".

It looks like 88 is open, though.

Do we have a current attendee list?

Just wondering what the head count is.

Anyone know if the slide on 3 has been cleared?

MB>

Hwy 3 is scheduled to be open May 17.

I don't have a clue who is coming, but Patty says the Red Hill Motel is full.

I'm hoping to swing north and drop down 3 through Etna, stopping for a late lunch Friday, then on to Weaverville.

Bill, CalTrans working to open 4 as we speak. It's mostly clear, but they are using some equipment to clear rocks from road edges. Check next week, you might make it.

88 is open and clear, watch sand in middle of road at Carson Spur. Could have patches of ice early at the Spur and near Woodfords.

MB>

CoarsegoldKid

I don't have a clue who is coming, but Patty says the Red Hill Motel is full.

We are scheduled to be there on Friday evening. Hopefully early. Not sure the route. Departing on Thursday to break the saddle time into two sectors has been discussed. My druthers would be to ride up the Sierra. Then again the cool coastal route is mighty enticing. I'll know more as the calendar turns to next week.

Bill_Walker

We are scheduled to be there on Friday evening. Hopefully early. Not sure the route. Departing on Thursday to break the saddle time into two sectors has been discussed. My druthers would be to ride up the Sierra. Then again the cool coastal route is mighty enticing. I'll know more as the calendar turns to next week.

Looks like I'm going to meet up with Mikko (FlyingFinn) in Oakhurst around noon on Thursday. The plan is to maybe spend the night in King's Beach. But that might be a long day. Plans are flexible. Care to join us?

I have just canceled my room , single, or two to a single bed,

due to the extended UN and following with a ride to Alaska.. I need to spend wisely and my vacation days are limited. Patty hopes one of this crew will snap it up soon . Till we meet again, ride savagely , aggressively teetering on the edge of mountain cliffs building stories to tell around the beverage cooler

Bill_Walker

due to the extended UN and following with a ride to Alaska.. I need to spend wisely and my vacation days are limited. Patty hopes one of this crew will snap it up soon . Till we meet again, ride savagely , aggressively teetering on the edge of mountain cliffs building stories to tell around the beverage cooler

Well, drat! I was looking forward to seeing you again! But I understand.

Guess I'll see you in Red Lodge, Bill. Sorry you'll miss this one. Drive to Eureka meet me there for Samoa on Sat?

MB>

Patty says she is still full, so I guess someone booked Tank's room.

Bullett (Sharon) and I will be in Friday afternoon.

We'll be going through Happy Camp and then either 96 E to Scott River Rd to 3, OR S on 96 to 299.

Please post up later on the status of CA3. I was hoping to have lunch in Etna, then ride south on 3 to Weaverville.

MB>

I was there this last weekend and the road (SR 3) is still closed. But the detour isn't that bad. My club (River City Beemers) went though it going to the Trinity Lake KOA. Any motorcycle or car can make it fine plus the dirt section is only 2.8 miles of packed dirt and gravel. It's single lane so they are using a pilot truck but the wait wasn't long less than 15 minutes in my case.

BeniciaRT_GT

We are IN!!!!!

So the Red Hill remains full, so it looks like the old Victorian place just down the street for us.

Lady J will be testing out her new bags (and somewhat new trusty steed!) and I will be driving in the car. (Unable to ride, hand surgery 3 days ago)

See Y'all there! First lie, errr, I mean beer, is is on me!

We are IN!!!!!

So the Red Hill remains full, so it looks like the old Victorian place just down the street for us.

Lady J will be testing out her new bags (and somewhat new trusty steed!) and I will be driving in the car. (Unable to ride, hand surgery 3 days ago)

See Y'all there! First lie, errr, I mean beer, is is on me!

Looking forward to seeing both of you, but a word of advice to Jacqueline:

DON'T LET HIM DRIVE YOUR MIATA! I speak from experience on this! :wave:

Jacqueline
We are IN!!!!!

Jacqueline:

DON'T LET HIM DRIVE YOUR MIATA! I speak from experience on this! :wave:

He informed me tonight when I got home that he plans on driving the Miata! I'm going to blame you for giving him that idea. :grin:

We will not be there Friday night... but will be there Sat about noon.

Jacqueline

Did you say ALASKA!!!!!! I think you are making very WISE choices!

CoarsegoldKid
70% chance of rain Friday and Saturday. I predict lots of bar time.

Yeah, I saw that too. However our chance of being "OUT" is getting greater day by day. Juanita and I both have had nasty cough/cold symptoms for two weeks and only getting slightly better. Tomorrow will be decision day.

CoarsegoldKid

Hack hack cough cough! There is now another room available in Weaverville. We will miss everyone.

National Weather Service is putting chance of showers at 50% on Friday and Saturday. Night time temps are looking chilly, around 40. Daytime highs around 60, but of course it will be warmer lower elevations.

Sorry to hear this, Joe. Get better, buddy! I was going to talk to you about something. I'll give you a call soon.

Thanks for the heads up Jan. I'll be adjusting my ride to Weaverville to a more southerly route. First option was lunch and a quick one at the Etna Brewery . I'll make this another time. Think I'll pick up the 3 at Red Bluff and work the bike through some corners.

40 degrees at night huh? Think I should pack to heated vest ? :rofl:

I'll buy lunch in Weaverville on Friday if that fits in your schedule.

MB>

Thanks for the heads up Jan. I'll be adjusting my ride to Weaverville to a more southerly route. First option was lunch and a quick one at the Etna Brewery . I'll make this another time. Think I'll pick up the 3 at Red Bluff and work the bike through some corners.

MB>

SR 3 is closed BUT there is a short (2.8 mile) detour around the road collapse. It's dirt but I rode though it twice on my R1200S no problem. So go to Etna north on 3 no problem.

Archived