IGNORED

Valve stem hole diameter?

BoisePilot

szurszewski

I *believe* that would be a .453" - or maybe listed as 11mm. As I recall from my research a few years ago, it was a pretty standard size; I think I ended up just buying them at the dealer anyway though as I was there for something else.

josh

edit - didn't quite answer your question. I don't know the hole size, per se, but those number are what is listed for the valve stem.

Morning BoisePilot

I haven't ever measured the HOLE size but the valve stems are listed as 15mm valve stems.

They need to be on the short side though so a lot of automotive stems are the right diameter but are too darn long.

Very little effort and cost to purchase the right thing from a BMW dealer.

And pay 20x more for the same thing.

szurszewski
Very little effort and cost to purchase the right thing from a BMW dealer.

And pay 20x more for the same thing.

They were more at the dealer than I'd found them for elsewhere but not that much more. I suppose it might even have been 100% more, but that took them from like $3 to $6. I don't mind supporting dealer mark up when I can afford it. ...and I saved a bunch by not buying my tires there ;) so I could afford it.

Found the .453 stubby at ACE hardware, cheap. But think ill just keep em in the emergency bag.

Some time ago I read there was a bad batch of stems from china, not properly vulcanized. Last tire change I installed new stems, a year later (+,-) 1 dry-rotted, 1 good, bought at the same place same time.

I change alot of tires, hence I buy them by the bag. Last ones I bought cost me $0.25 each.

My dealer is about 10 miles away, I know because I was there about 5 years ago. :grin:

the hole be 11.5mm in the 1150 and 1200 in the shop today.

we only use the Wurth 15mm Diam shorty stems that are dead ringers for the BMW part.

when you re-use crush washers and valve stems for yourself to save a few cents, its your neck.

When you work on other folks machines, the only place to save money is by buying the Kirkland brand coffee you give away.

We only did that once. (yuk)

Archived