2015 R1200 RT Front Rotors

Taylor 1983

Taylor 1983

When washing and drying my 2015 R1200RT today and specifically drying my front wheel, I noticed a little movement in both Rotors? Maybe 1/10 of an inch?? Does anyone know if this is normal? I wanted to ask you folks before I call my dealer? Thank you all in advance.

The rotors are mounted with wave washers -- essentially, springs -- that allow the rotor to move laterally as needed. A tenth of an inch's movement is exactly right.

Normal. Same as my 2015 RTW with less than 1k miles.

Morning Taylor

Mark is referring to lateral (sideways) movement, I presume you noticed rotational movement when drying (movement in same direction as wheel spins). That usually translates to a clack/clack as rotor is moved back & fourth in wheel spinning directions???

That is also normal but no spec given (that I know of) on amount allowed. Some move a fair bit & others are fairly tight (holes in brake rotors are slightly larger than the shoulders on mounting bolts so movement in radial direction is normal.

.100" is a lot of radial movement though (won't hurt brake function but they will probably rattle some on rough roads & sharp inputs)

If you are referring to lateral (sideways) movement then see Marks posting above.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived