IGNORED

A remembrance and thanks...

Oldironken

Oldironken

From my youth i remember the old World War 1 veterans standing at attention, ready to render a 21-gun salute after Taps during the Memorial Day ceremony in the center of Brunswick, Ohio. Old men who had fought and offered their lives in service to their country, my country. Spared from death they returned home to live their lives with the memories of friends whose lives were taken.

Next to them were the guys a little older than my father, World War 2 vets, still in the vigor of life. Next to them were the Korean Vets, younger still. Scattered among them were the guys a little older than me, home from their service in Vietnam. All with memories of battles fought and friends lost, some with visible scars, many with invisible ones.

Around me in the crowds were the families, there to pay their respects, to remember ones not coming home. Since then the faces of the Veterans have gotten even younger, children of friends, nieces and nephews even.

My prayer today is one to honor those lost. One of thanks for those willing to serve. One of comfort for those who have lost family and friends. One of healing for those wounded, whether visible or invisible. And for wisdom for those who send them. May those who have the power to send armies understand the cost of their decisions and never take those lives lightly. Thank you veterans, may you find the peace you deserve and the honor and respect due you.

Very well said Ken. Thank you for the very reverent perspective that many of us share and for the vision that our generation can pass on to the many thousands of the new era veterans of the middle east conflicts that have made this country's longest war to date.

" Hand Salute! " Honor and Remeber.

That is simply the best, most eloquent and moving summation of what this day really means that I've ever seen or heard.

I will honor your prayer, and be the better man for it.

Beautifully written. You've captured what's in my heart on this day of remembrance. May God Bless those who have given their lives in service to this country.

America, The Beautiful Lyrics

by Katharine Lee Bates – 1913

O beautiful for spacious skies,

For amber waves of grain,

For purple mountain majesties

Above the fruited plain!

America! America! God shed His grace on thee,

And crown thy good with brotherhood

From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet,

Whose stern impassion’d stress

A thoroughfare for freedom beat

Across the wilderness!

America! America! God mend thine ev’ry flaw,

Confirm thy soul in self-control,

Thy liberty in law!

O beautiful for heroes proved In liberating strife,

Who more than self their country loved,

And mercy more than life!

America! America! May God thy gold refine

Till all success be nobleness,

And ev’ry gain divine!

O Beautiful for patriot dream

That sees beyond the years

Thine alabaster cities gleam,

Undimmed by human tears!

America! America! God shed His grace on thee,

And crown thy good with brotherhood

From sea to shining sea!

Very well said. I have known many that have given their lives for this nation, many that I served with.

Also, I say this with utmost respect and to try to quash the common confusion.....a 21 gun salute is given (via cannon), in the United States, for heads of state, a three round volley, via rifle (no matter the amount of weapons), is given for the dead. While most funerals and the like utilized seven rifles, it is still a considered a three round volley and not a 21 gun salute.

Archived