IGNORED

Ticky ticky ticky

Coinneach

So I've searched and read everything I could find about oilhead ticking noise, but not one post provides an audible example. And the responses have ranged from worn rocker arms to "they all do that."

Post valve-and-TB work, I shot some more low-res video this afternoon, everything from idle to 6K. Would appreciate any feedback on what I'm hearing. (Also, yes, I hooned it a bit - put it down to irritation with slow-arse cagers and not wanting to merge onto the highway at 45. :dopeslap: )

No, and I didn't do the original adjustment, my shop did. Reading the OREPAD pdf, the valves have to be redone after the rocker arms. I'm not inclined to part with another two bills just yet. If this isn't an impending bomb, I'll just deal with it until the next 6K comes up.

I have heard that if the ticking only comes from one side, it is the throttle body. There are some brass bushings that get worn on the butterfly and the surge of air intake causes it to tick with every stroke.

Easy to check.

Hard to tell on your video since the engine noise gets a bit lost among the road noise.

What CoolTouch is referring to is your right side throttle body. Over time the throttle body components develop some play. This causes a condition that is almost exclusively on the right side. The result is that the throttle body linkage will rapidly lift and then bang back down against the throttle stop. This happens at a frequency that is about the same as piston movement. The result is a clicking that sounds very much like valve lifter clatter.

If this is what you are hearing the noise will go away when you open the throttle enough so that it can no longer make contact with the throttle stop. So, at idle open the throttle a bit and that particular noise should disappear. Keep in mind that these motors were always noisy, and one with your mileage is going to be even noisier.

If your clicking seems to be more than the throttle body issue, make sure your valve are set correctly and then, as suggested, check the rocker arm end play.

The camera is on the left case guard. I'd think that if the ticking was on the right side throttle body, the camera wouldn't have picked it up at all.

Since the valves and TBs were just done on Friday by a certified Beemer basher, I have to assume they're not the problem. I'll call the shop on Tuesday and ask them to take another look at the rocker ends, hopefully without slapping me with another $200 bill. >:(

I know boxers are noisy; I've flown behind many a Lycoming flat-four. I've never heard this kind of rattle/tick before, short of a failing lifter or pushrod.

On centerstand, started from cold, idling about 1100 rpm. I'm not hearing the ticky-tapping so much on the left side anymore, but it's noticeable on the right (about :50). I'll check the throttle body.

At about the 60 second mark, I think I heard a different noise, as you moved near the right cylinder. If so, it could be a worn throttle body tick.

This video is better than the other, but I'm still unable to pick out sounds like I could if I was there.

Since you say you hear it more on the right did you try turning the throttle grip to see if the noise diminished?

in any case, once you remove the tupperware it will be readily evident if the noise is coming from the throttle body linkage.

A good technique to pinpoint where a sound is originating from is to use a length of hose held to your ear while moving the other end around the areas where you think the sound is coming from. Once you close in it will become very evident you have found the right spot. Just a word of warning...use caution when using this method around moving objects like a car's water pump or air conditioner compressor.

This video is better than the other, but I'm still unable to pick out sounds like I could if I was there.

Since you say you hear it more on the right did you try turning the throttle grip to see if the noise diminished?

in any case, once you remove the tupperware it will be readily evident if the noise is coming from the throttle body linkage.

A good technique to pinpoint where a sound is originating from is to use a length of hose held to your ear while moving the other end around the areas where you think the sound is coming from. Once you close in it will become very evident you have found the right spot. Just a word of warning...use caution when using this method around moving objects like a car's water pump or air conditioner compressor.

Went out and ran her up again, couldn't quite tell when I brought her up to 2500. Guess if it's that vague then it's not much of an issue, it's just very different from the Japanese inline-4s I've been riding most of my life. I'll ask at the next BMWRR meetup. Thanks for the pointers.

Archived