IGNORED

Mirror Removal

Tshader

I just got a 2009 R1200RT after owning 4 other RTs the latest was a 2004 1150RT. Can someone tell me how to safely remove the mirrors on this 09? The owners manual says to apply forward pressure and shows an arrow pointing back to the rear of the bike. I just don't want to break something in the process. Thanks for any help and/or pictures. Show and tell always works for me.

Thanks. :)

Doug_Baliko

They just pop off on a '09. Just tap the mirror housing towards the rear of the bike with the palm of your hand. It will come all the way off so hold it as you do it. You may have to hit it a little hard but you won't break it.

Doug

Joe Frickin' Friday
2009s have factory safety lanyards

Mine didn't; bought it new, and there's definitely no safety lanyards. Maybe that's a dealer-specific add-on?

Well, maybe I'll modify to say the plastic casting that holds the mirror glass was modified to include a "hook" for the factory lanyard. The lanyard is a rubber band with a loop on each end and maybe your dealer didn't know what it was for when it assembled your bike from the crate and just left it off.

I retrofitted the new mirror holders to my 2008.

xbubblehead
2009s have factory safety lanyards

Mine didn't; bought it new, and there's definitely no safety lanyards. Maybe that's a dealer-specific add-on?

BMW should supply lanyards as my mirror has popped off several times while I was riding. My 07' didn't come with any but I just used picture frame wire.. been there ever since with no issues.

I now have the new mirror housing and am trying to figure out how to get the mirror out of the old housing and put it in the new one.

Any help out there???

Thanks.

A minor pita. There are a number of short, wide tangs on the mirror backplate that grab a rim rib around the mirror cup (the part that moves to provide the left/right/up/down adjustment). You basically need to *carefully* release ~1/2 of the tangs to get the mirror to separate. The process often results in the mirror's cracking, so don't feel like you've done something dumb it that happens.

No particular "best" way I've found to release the tangs -- pushing with a long, thin screwdriver, pulling with a hook tool, etc. Once it starts to release it comes off pretty easily (so be ready to catch it), but that "getting it to start to release" part is the pita.

Good luck.

mneblett: Thanks for your response. I found the tangs and got the mirror removed in one piece. Everything is back together as good as new. Thanks again.

Archived