IGNORED

Future BMW cruiser?

John Ranalletta

Actually ...

While that is not it, there have been spy shots of a cut-down K16 that looks like it would go head-to-head with Honda's GoldWing-based F6B "power cruiser."

I do not have any insights into BMW's product planning, but the spy shots showed a design that was complete enough that I would be surprised if it didn't show up in the next year or so.

I love it except for those gigantic touring bags. Leave them removable (like on my K 1600 GT model) BMW and also shorten those long pipes. Then you'll have a fantastic driving machine.

Guest Kakugo

The GTL is getting an update this year or the next with a new exhaust, new side cases etc. Apparently it's more styling than substance.

Now there's a contraption if I ever saw one but you can't deny the money to be made in the cruiser market. In this country, anyway. Personally, I have no use for 'em and I don't like it when BMW puts form over function. It's not who they are, IMO.

I can't stand the looks of the current Harley version of this concept bike but if, and that's a big IF, BMW would allow for the removal of those traveling bags then yes even myself would be interested in this sports looking cruiser. I think the black image is really cool. As for the wood grain? I could take it or leave it but the blackened engine looks tough. And of course BMW has its name on this cycle which for most is enough to get potential buyers in their cycle shops.

Been to the very impressive BMW Mottorad facility in Munich. A stainless steel two story building. BMW's everywhere. And yes they speak just as good English as does this American born guy.

BMW is like God in Europe and for good reasons.

My K 1600 GT is reason enough for me to speak highly of BMW and their cycles. And I think this concept we're posting about would do very well here in the States.

Actually ...

While that is not it, there have been spy shots of a cut-down K16 that looks like it would go head-to-head with Honda's GoldWing-based F6B "power cruiser."

I do not have any insights into BMW's product planning, but the spy shots showed a design that was complete enough that I would be surprised if it didn't show up in the next year or so.

Come to think about it, this BMW-sponsered/Roland Sands custom may be to BMW's K16 version of the F6B what the six-cylinder Concept 6 bike was to the K16GT/GTL -- a teaser/interest-generator before the release of the new model.

mneblett: I agree. This concept bike will most likely make it into a production in the near future looking very much like this model we're seeing in this post.

I don't know what the current Harley model's name is that has these flared, large, storage bags but to me they're drop dead ugly. However W/O them this Concept bike BMW is showing off would look more refined, powerful and, to me anyway, great looking.

We'll see how things play out here. I will be in Munich next month and I'll stop in at BMW's Motorrad's Zentrums shop on Frankfurter Ring see what they know about this Concept bike.

Until then, trying to make it to Beartooth this weekend.

mneblett: I agree. This concept bike will most likely make it into a production in the near future looking very much like this model we're seeing in this post.

Really? If they can bring some monstrosity like a bagger concept to market I wonder why the $#%&@#$ they can't bring THIS to market as well? BMW-K1600-Concept-6-Milan_zps1c4rb1jz.jpg

For those wanting a closer look check out this

Moto Guzzi wants to play! Concept bike, they already tossed the big square plates behind the shifter and brakes. Sorry for the size.

Moto-Guzzi-MGX-21-prototype-studio-01.jpg

Really? If they can bring some monstrosity like a bagger concept to market I wonder why the $#%&@#$ they can't bring THIS to market as well? BMW-K1600-Concept-6-Milan_zps1c4rb1jz.jpg

Patience, gwasshoppa. :)

I'll be stunned if there's not a K16S or R out in the next 2 years - 3 at the latest -- amount the time for the first-gen. K16 mid-life update.

Why does "Honda Rune" keep going through my mind? It's a bold departure for BMW, not my sort of thing at all though so you'd never see one in my garage.

I'll be stunned if there's not a K16S or R out in the next 2 years - 3 at the latest -- amount the time for the first-gen. K16 mid-life update.

Agree here too. This bike looks great too. More speed focused as opposed to touring.

I'll be in Garmisch for Motorrad Days over the July 4th weekend. Hope to see one close up down there.

That's a neat little place. I'm sure BMW will be showing off this concept machine there.

fourteenfour

Somehow the idea of a six hundred pound plus sport bike doesn't appeal. Given the weight of the sixers we have now I doubt they would do much in dropping the pounds even with this

Somehow the idea of a six hundred pound plus sport bike doesn't appeal. Given the weight of the sixers we have now I doubt they would do much in dropping the pounds even with this

Likely lighter than the flying brick K1200RS/GT, a much-loved sport tourer in its day (and still loved by many owners). Not a crotch rocket, but a superb-stable mile-eater than could whip around corners like on rails.

I expect there would be sufficient demand to support its introduction, and because it would be aimed at a different market slice than the S1000RR, it would likely cause little cannibalization of other BMW sales.

I hope it makes it to the real world as we see it here. A two version type will probably be more like it. One for touring and the more sportier version. Just like the K 1600 line-up.

Guest Kakugo

Just a quick thing: if they add a cruiser to the lineup, will the delivery time for a GS-Adventure go from four and a half months to six months? ;)

They are already struggling to keep up with orders right now...

• 2 weeks later...
Actually ...

Come to think about it, this BMW-sponsered/Roland Sands custom may be to BMW's K16 version of the F6B what the six-cylinder Concept 6 bike was to the K16GT/GTL -- a teaser/interest-generator before the release of the new model.

Knew I had this around somewhere: a spy pic from a while back of a "bagger" version of the K16's saddlebags:

bmwk1600baggerrfcwks5onz_zpswt7yt4r0.jpg

Note also the "cruiser style" straight horizontal exhaust pipes (not the current K16's up-swept cans), different mirror shapes, and lower-mounted (and slightly different shape?) trunk, with HD TourPack-type chrome trunk rack. Possibly also different tank/fairing side panel shapes; hard to tell in this pic.

I'm still of the mind we will see an F6B-type of K16 in the next year or two.

Having own more than one K16GTL, I can spot a *lot* of detailed design changes from the stock GTL.

I therefore can appreciate just how much work and money had to have been invested to produce this concept bike (a *huge* amount -- I truly admire craftsmanship and attention to detail, both of which are here in spades).

Having seen the final result, my only thought is:

bmw-concept-101-is-a-wood-trimmed-six-cylinder-bagger-of-lust-photo-gallery_4.jpg

All of it was wasted.

Looks like a badly welded drain pipe mated with a Woody

You do realize what you just said, right? ;)

Having own more than one K16GTL, I can spot a *lot* of detailed design changes from the stock GTL.

I therefore can appreciate just how much work and money had to have been invested to produce this concept bike (a *huge* amount -- I truly admire craftsmanship and attention to detail, both of which are here in spades).

Having seen the final result, my only thought is:

All of it was wasted.

Looks like a badly welded drain pipe mated with a Woody

You do realize what you just said, right? ;)

Oh, oh well.

I live in a pure and unfettered world. :Cool:

The BMW Concept 101 is a Roland Sands design.

If you look through the sun visor of the rider, you can see/recognize Sands' face.

Archived