IGNORED

Hernia - How long to stand down

Red

Had to have an inguinal hernia operated on early this week. Very competent female Doc says no lifting greater than 10 lbs or riding a 650 lb top heavy RT as well. In a week I get a follow up with different male Doc (they rotate in our small town).

Anyone else had this situation during riding season? Anyone else had other differing opinions which lead to good outcomes.

Sans other credible advise, reluctantly I'll will abide by my sturgeons.

You definitely want to lay off until things heal. You don't want to open anything back up.I would ask that question of the Doc at my next appointment. If I remember correctly I went 2 weeks when I had mine fixed, but then I was only 24 YMMV

lawnchairboy

How you do in recovery depends on a bunch of stuff, nutrition, rest, preoperative tissue condition, etc.

I would stick to the surgeons advice. You really don't want a re operation.

Good luck.

I was able to ride my 07 RT 6 weeks after the surgery. I still experience a little pain once in a while three years after the surgery. But I feel in a year or two they will have to redo it.

Oldironken

Laparoscopic or did they cut you open? (that will make a difference.) I had both sides done laprascopicaly 9 months apart. I took 10 days off from running and then went back at it, I felt a little hitch now and then but had no issues. my Doc said he's done thousands with the mesh and never had one fail

I had the mesh deal done on me. I also lost skin sensitivity from the lower center of abdomen towards the right, just before it reaches the leg.

I had an inguinal hernia repair 17 months ago. I kind of knew what it was but tried to ignore it for awhile. Finally, it was game over as it became very painful and pretty obvious. My primary care doc referred me to a general surgeon who had fixed lots of 'em. He took one look and I was scheduled for surgery pretty quickly. I told him that my dad had two of them repaired back in the forties and was in the hospital two weeks each time followed by another two weeks out of work. The surgeon said I should be in the hospital just a few hours. Sure enough - - I checked in at 10:00 and was being wheeled out at 3:00 with my laparoscopic mesh repair. Surgeon said not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for a few days and come back to see him in 7 - 10 days. At that visit, he advised moderate activity for another three weeks after which I was cleared for everything.

This was a full on gash of about 5 or 6 inches. They installed the high tech racing weight mesh. Mine was not a gradual thing. One afternoon I was building fence and 'heaving rocks' two days later I'm in O.R. The Doc instructs are 6 weeks no lifting, pushing, pulling anything over 10 lbs. I get a follow-up on the 29th. 6 wks is a long time and 10 lbs is nothing. If that's the long term outlook may as well sell all my toys, outdoor equipment, move into town and plan on watching TV and listening to soothing music (no dancing) in a comfortable chair the rest of my days.

Archived