IGNORED

2015 R1200 RTW starting

Antknee

Hi all, wondering if this is normal. When starting the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in, the bike makes a a small jump forward...also when manuvering the bike in my garage in gear, engine off, it is much harder than when it is in neutral. I have owned several other BMW bikes and never noticed this. Is this normal for this bike?

Thanks

realshelby

Quite normal for any wet clutch bike. There is always a bit of drag, especially when cold, from the oil film and multiple discs. The old single disc dry clutch....had very little to cause drag when the pressure plate pressure was released off it. Might be a few more things turning inside the transmission when in gear and trying to move it on both style bikes.

I don't start the bike or my cars in gear, but the effect is the same. You have to break the surface tension of the plates against each other.

+1 -- I often put my RTW in neutral when I want to move it around.

Might be a few more things turning inside the transmission when in gear and trying to move it on both style bikes.

Not really -- it's the three gearshafts of the hex/camhead tranny (input, intermediate and output), plus one additional shaft with a single gear that raises the output to the level of the driveshaft:

Engine%20transmission%20clutch%20layout_zpsjbguy2op.png

Starting? I just put her in neutral, no clutch. Hit the starter... zoom.

Easiest and quickest starting bike I ever owned.

As for moving the bike about the garage... why leave it in gear? Of course personal choices belong to all of us. I much prefer to move the bike in the garage with me in the saddle. That way no drops on the off side.

Starting? I just put her in neutral, no clutch. Hit the starter... zoom.

Mine has the odd behavior that it won't start if you just keep hitting the start button, it will turn over for ever.....LOL

But if I hit the start button for two seconds, then stop...wait a couple of seconds and hit the starter a 2nd time, it then will start on the 2nd time straight away.

It has done this from day one.

As for moving the bike about the garage... why leave it in gear? Of course personal choices belong to all of us. I much prefer to move the bike in the garage with me in the saddle. That way no drops on the off side.

Same as I do. I take her off the center stand, while standing on the LHS, side stand down and then park her on the side stand.

Once on the side stand, I get on and reverse her out of the garage sitting on it.

I have a car on my RHS and my wife's bike on the LHS. If I would drop the bike in the garage, things would get really messy.

Also the ground slopes downhill in front of the garage, so as I come out and turn to the left, I am badly off camber. Sitting on it that's not too much of a problem as I have long legs.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has the odd behavior that it won't start if you just keep hitting the start button, it will turn over for ever.....LOL

But if I hit the start button for two seconds, then stop...wait a couple of seconds and hit the starter a 2nd time, it then will start on the 2nd time straight away.

It has done this from day one.

I have noticed the same thing with my bike. It's a 2015 I've had about 2 months. It doesn't do it every time, and seems more prone to do it when cold and if it was on the side stand over night. Very odd.

However, when I turn it off using the kill switch it starts immediately. Others have reported the same.

I have noticed the same thing with my bike. It's a 2015 I've had about 2 months. It doesn't do it every time, and seems more prone to do it when cold and if it was on the side stand over night. Very odd.

Mine does it hot/cold/center stand or side stand.

It's just the quirk of my bike.

I don't mind. It gives it "personality".

Archived