IGNORED

Aerial and speaker removal

Alba

Hi,

I have removed the radio from my 1150RT, 2002, I am planning to remove the radio and speaker system. Has anyone done this? I can't find a post. I'm not sure what to replace the hole the aerial will make or what to replace the speaker 'grating' with. Any pointers/ advice/ experience would be very much appreciated.

You can get suitable rubber grommets from B&Q. I just left the aerial in place and tied up the lead. The speaker grills are fixed to the dash panel and will stay in place.

Andy

As Andy said. To increase you range of hole filling options, don't forget the likes of Screwfix, Maplin, Halfords and Electrical wholesalers and the like. It isn't difficult getting a blind grommet for the hole. But they are of course available in different panel thicknesses, so you want to find out how thick the fairing is before purchase as you don't want a loose fitting items as it would look shoddy.

You could also use the plastic base part of the aerial and fabricate a neat metal infill.

You can unscrew the antenna from the base and put a stainless screw. in. Thats what I did on my 03 that had no radio but came with the antenna and speakers.

Lincoln_Faller

I found a grommet at the local ACE hardware. It's flat black, looks fine, and to keep it in place I used a bit of clear silicone. The antenna, the speakers, and accompanying hardware now all reside in a box in my garage. The removal was quite simple once I removed the dash panel.

An antenna without a radio looked goofy, and I didn't want to succumb to the even goofier temptation of making it seem useful by attaching a small flag to it.

I found a grommet at the local ACE hardware. It's flat black, looks fine, and to keep it in place I used a bit of clear silicone. The antenna, the speakers, and accompanying hardware now all reside in a box in my garage. The removal was quite simple once I removed the dash panel.

An antenna without a radio looked goofy, and I didn't want to succumb to the even goofier temptation of making it seem useful by attaching a small flag to it.

I went to Ace's hardware department and found a perfect size black plastic plug designed for this type of application. You'll need to remove your dash panel but other than that the speakers are easy to remove and the speaker grates stay in place and you'll end up with a lighter bike. Aside from that I used black electrical tape to seal the cable hole in the radio compartment.

greiffster

I simply hacked off most of the antenna and put the plastic tip back on. The remain 2" or so kind of looks like one of those sat. radio antennas.

Thanks all, disappointed there's not something out there to transform the look of the dash and the hole left by the aerial. Like the sound of the sat nav look.

Am I right in thinking if the original bike did not come with a radio the dash was the same?

Almost succumbed to the small flag idea lol.

greiffster

Am I right in thinking if the original bike did not come with a radio the dash was the same?

Yes, I think different years and continents of the 1150RTs were prepped differently for radios. But as far as the dash, just a blank covers the rectangular hole on the left side.

I simply hacked off most of the antenna and put the plastic tip back on. The remain 2" or so kind of looks like one of those sat. radio antennas.

Note to self: if bike breaks down somewhere and Greiffster rides up, DO NOT LET HIM WORK ON BIKE!!!! :eek:

greiffster

Note to self: if bike breaks down somewhere and Greiffster rides up, DO NOT LET HIM WORK ON BIKE!!!! :eek:

Dude!!! I can fix it!!! :rofl:

Archived