Gas Mileage Off

U-Turn

1999 1100 RT

While I have not taken meticulous records on my mileage I can tell it ain't what it used to be. Getting 37-38 range vs 43-45 previously. Bike runs well, matter of fact I can not detect any difference in performance.

Added a larger top box and a front fender extender recently but doubt that would affect the mileage much. Looking for thoughts on highest probability causes given no detectable performance degradation. Thanks in advance.

Evening U-Turn

It usually boils down to riding faster. Just a little higher average speed is noticeable in average fuel mileage.

Evening U-Turn

It usually boils down to riding faster. Just a little higher average speed is noticeable in average fuel mileage.

Agree with that. If avg speed has not changed though, what would be the next most likely cause(s)?

Dragging brakes.

What fueling mods do you have?

Hmmm...that's an interesting thought. I'll check that out. Knew someone would ask about the fuel mods. I do have the AFX module installed, however I saw no difference in the mileage when I varied the setting above and below 7, which is where I have it now.

TripleThreat

Different riding conditions? Traffic, elevation, weather conditions, sitting at idle more frequently, tire pressure, final drive failure starting (causing increased friction), old spark plugs, poor valve adjustment, increased payload (more cargo, or more cheeseburgers and beer)... Could be any number of things...

Guest Kakugo

I don't know about Oilhead's, but my Hexhead seems to be extremely sensitive to fuel quality.

Anything that is not fresh, top quality fuel will result in an immediate drop in mileage.

If you always fill up at the same petrol station it's possible the fuel they have in the tanks is getting old, or they got a batch of slightly inferior stuff from the local depot or refinery.

Honestly, nothing you can do about and nothing to worry about.

roger 04 rt
I went from 44-46 down to 39-41 when i added the AF unit...

That's cause you rode more aggressively. ;) When I added the LC-1, same fueling as the AFXIED, my mileage went from 43 to 42.

I still think the most likely cause is something added to the rolling resistance give the huge drop the OP is seeing. There really isn't any easy way to fuel 2X as rich ...

Evening U-Turn

Agree with that. If avg speed has not changed though, what would be the next most likely cause(s)?

Morning U-Turn

More aggressive use of the right wrist up to the average speeds.

roger 04 rt
I went from 44-46 down to 39-41 when i added the AF unit...

That's cause you rode more aggressively. ;) When I added the LC-1, same fueling as the AFXIED, my mileage went from 43 to 42.

I still think the most likely cause is something added to the rolling resistance give the huge drop the OP is seeing. There really isn't any easy way to fuel 2X as rich ...

Ignore this. I mixed up my reply with the same issue on another board. Doh!

I spun both wheels to see if there was any obvious binding or resistance and I could not detect anything significant. There is slight rubbing noise from the pads, but I assume that is normal. Is there a better way to check for brake friction?

Afternoon U-Turn

Yes, if you want to spend the labor.

Do a coast down, on a level windless road run bike to 45 mph then kick into neutral & allow it to coast down to 5 mph, mark distance (or spots) from start of coast to where it rolled out at 5 mph.

Then go back to beginning of road, stop, then pry brake pads back on front & rear calipers then repeat test (without using any brakes until test complete)

If it coasts farther with brake pad pry back then the brakes were dragging.

Afternoon U-Turn

Yes, if you want to spend the labor.

Do a coast down, on a level windless road run bike to 45 mph then kick into neutral & allow it to coast down to 5 mph, mark distance (or spots) from start of coast to where it rolled out at 5 mph.

Then go back to beginning of road, stop, then pry brake pads back on front & rear calipers then repeat test (without using any brakes until test complete)

If it coasts farther with brake pad pry back then the brakes were dragging.

OK, thanks. I think I may try that.

Archived