IGNORED

O2 Sensor - Oxygen Sensor - Lambda Sensor

trent

As I've read and followed this, I could not be more proud of the quality of the members we have, their willingness to give of themselves and their knowledge to others, and the diligence with which they follow a problem to conclusion. Gentlemen, it is truly an honor to have you here.

The issues has been resolved! Or at least it seams. I decide to take the bike to a different dealer, and there tech took it out with a bunch of different parts on him. He road it around swapping out parts until he found the issue.

It was the TPS (Throttle Pressure Sensor)... A $129 part that almost anyone could swap out.

Today, I had to split lanes for almost 2 hours straight (from LA to Orange County) a condition that would have definatly put the bike in a fit, but actually the bike ran perfectly, better than it has in recent memory.

I was on the brink of frustration, but my confidence has been restored in the bike.

It truly is a fine machine, just wish the fuel/oxygen management system wasn't so complex and hard to diagnose when things go south. I mean you got the plugs, upper coils, lower coils, fuel pumps, fuel filter, injectors, actuators, tps, o2 sensors, throttle sync, throttle cables, exhaust flap, ECU, knock sensors, pink sensors, engine temp sensor, etc, etc, etc... and if one of those things, slightly goes, they

can all produce similar symptoms. It also doesn't help that The DOHC bikes, (2010-2013) have been made to run ultra lean to begin with.

On that note, I heard that you can ask your dealer to map the ECU to a 'poor fuel' mapping, meant for those people that actually take their bike around the world. The idea is that the bike will run less lean, and hence run cooler and better than running on a default mapping which was made to pass the strict EPA standards.

Anyone heard of this?

Morning Trent

Yes, I have heard of that but only on the GS/GS-A, it m-i-g-h-t be possible on the RT also but I haven't ever heard of it being done on the RT. In any case it doesn't change the fuel mixture itself (doesn't make it run less lean) it changes the spark advance curve.

Hi Trent,

Really glad you found the problem. The thing we didn't have you do was try to map the TPS into the GS-911 which isn't easy to do.

What your tech did reminds me of one of my first jobs as a tech in college. I was given a hundred failed electronic modules to fix. I got through 97 of them in about a month with diligent debugging. The remaining 3 couldn't be figured by me or any of the more senior guys. I cut out a half dozen parts on each board until I found the failure through guesswork.

I second DRs comments. The remap won't affect mixture richness or engine coolness but will change the ignition advance.

• 10 months later...

Quick update (nearly a year after), ever since the TPS (Throttle Pressure Sensor) was changed, the bike has been running great.

Even though at the time I was frustrated and about feed up with the bike, looking back at it now, I learned a lot through this exercise.

The bike has over 52K on it, I think it had about 35K when I was having the problem.

She purrs like a kitten, and I don't ever plan on selling her. I know to much about her, and like wise she know too much about me. :)

Archived