IGNORED

stock purchasing scheme

elkroeger

I'm just sitting here watching the evening news, and contemplating why my 1100RS started coughing and sputtering today. But that's a different story....

Coming up empty handed on the bike, a thought occurred to me. Why not just buy stock in companies that advertise during the evening news? I don't know anything about advertising (or stocks), but I figure the national news has to be a hot market. Any company doing well enough to afford it, prolly makes a good investment. If they're not doing so hot, then they move to cheaper markets, and that's when I sell.

This scheme might go for the superbowl, final four, and other big TV events. They say the M*A*S*H finale was watched by 1/2 the population of the U.S....

Whaddaya think - will I be cruising around in a new cadillac, or living in a van, by the end of the year?

My guy believes in balanced investing over the long haul.

You may do just as well with your plan. dunno

Marty Hill

In the last few years throwing a dart at a list of companies would have done very well. Not sure about the future but good luck!

The best that can be said is statistically you have about as much chance coming out ahead over the long term as fund managers making 7-figure salaries.

I am a hard core dyed in the wool DIYer. The only things in my life that I trust to professionals is medical care and investments. We have had the same financial firm for over 20 years, and they have done exactly what they told us their strategy was.

They told us that they worked toward the concept of getting 80% of the gains in the market, but only 30% of down. And I don't have to do much of anything, but listen.......And meet with them once a year. Which works well for us, since we now live 1200 miles away from their operation.

We have referred lots of family and a good number of friends to them, after we had developed confidence. Everyone we sent their way has had nothing but praise.

My wife and I refer to them as "The Boys".....Shortened from what we called them originally......."The Money Boys".

I would never have thought, in my younger years, that I would trust anyone else with my financial security. But damn, am I happy not to have that worry.

I am a hard core dyed in the wool DIYer. The only things in my life that I trust to professionals is medical care and investments. We have had the same financial firm for over 20 years, and they have done exactly what they told us their strategy was.

They told us that they worked toward the concept of getting 80% of the gains in the market, but only 30% of down. And I don't have to do much of anything, but listen.......And meet with them once a year. Which works well for us, since we now live 1200 miles away from their operation.

We have referred lots of family and a good number of friends to them, after we had developed confidence. Everyone we sent their way has had nothing but praise.

My wife and I refer to them as "The Boys".....Shortened from what we called them originally......."The Money Boys".

I would never have thought, in my younger years, that I would trust anyone else with my financial security. But damn, am I happy not to have that worry.

Honest up front with their expected results and obviously performed as expected. Good for them and for you. :thumbsup:

Antimatter

Fidelity did a study of which accounts had the best performance over time. The goal was to determine a strategy that was most successful. It turns out the best performing accounts were those where the client had forgotten they existed. Fidelity determined that in the long run, each investment strategy has it's day in the sun; and otherwise tended to track the overall market.

So, the best approach is to pick a strategy and stick with it. Don't change it, don't tweak it, don't do anything. Put the money in, invest it the same way, and leave it alone.

If you decide to do the 'evening news' strategy, stick with it. If you change, you'll miss the 'evening news' rally. Someone once said investment are like a bar of soap - the more you handle them, the smaller they'll get.

...It turns out the best performing accounts were those where the client had forgotten they existed....

Now that says a LOT. Maybe there's hope for me yet!

Any other good TV programs to follow? I'm thinking the evening news, sports playoffs, prime time. maybe the Olympics....

Archived