IGNORED

Weight difference

albury

Anyone know the weight difference between the new RT and the previous (05 - 13) version?

With bags or without, full or empty... I can't seem to find a relatively accurate comparison...

I have an 06, which somehow gets heavier with age... My age...

Here ya go Albury!

05 - 09 curb weight is listed as 571 lbs:

O7 SPECS

according to THIS SITE

The 2015 curb weight is 604 lbs

It's odd that my 2014 feels lighter than my 06 did and gets better gas mileage not to mention being more "entertaining."

07Specs Quote:259 kg (571 lb) w/o panniers

Notice the "w/o" panniers!!!!

They are either very close or just about the same.

But that is not the important part.

The 2014+ is a far lower bike with a lower center of gravity. It "feels" a lot lighter then the Hexhead (my previous 2005 model) and is a lot easier to handle for parking/maneuvering.

If you are thinking of upgrading, go to a dealer and have a test ride. You will notice the immediate difference.

Just a warning.....take license but leave wallet with wife.

Otherwise you might be coming home with a new bike straight away and wonder what the hell happened :-)

I have one of each, and they are within a couple lbs of one another, with bags and fuel.

The 2015 is easier to move around when straddling the bike due to the lower/narrower seat.

Standing next to the bikes to move them around, they are about equally easy to move -- as long as the 2015 is in neutral (the drag from the oil-bath clutch, when in gear, even with the clutch lever held in, is notable).

Note: this is with a 30" inseam. If you have a 35" inseam, the bikes are essentially equal.

One other place where the 2015 "feels" lighter is the centerstand -- the 2012 is nowhere near difficult to put on the centerstand, but the 2015 is *very* easy to centerstand -- nearly no effort.

Hmmm... I can feel my wallet getting lighter...

The new bike just looks bigger I guess...

I agree with Alfred02 about the dangers of a test ride. I rented an RT out west for a week ten years ago... Came home, sold the FJR, and... well, here I am...

I was hoping the new RS would be the ticket, but lack of electric windscreen is a deal killer. (since I wear a 3/4 helmet...)

Dave_in_TX
Here ya go Albury!

05 - 09 curb weight is listed as 571 lbs:

O7 SPECS

according to THIS SITE

The 2015 curb weight is 604 lbs

It's odd that my 2014 feels lighter than my 06 did and gets better gas mileage not to mention being more "entertaining."

The 571 lbs listed for the 2005 is without bags. The listed weight for the 2015 doesn't state whether or not the bags are included in that weight.

Per BMW brochure:

2015 R12RT: 274 kg (604 lb) per the Euro std, i.e., road ready, at least 90% fluid fill, "with panniers."

2009 R12RT: 259 kg (571 lb), same road ready state *without* panniers.

Per BMW brochure:

2015 R12RT: 274 kg (604 lb) per the Euro std, i.e., road ready, at least 90% fluid fill, "with panniers."

2009 R12RT: 259 kg (571 lb), same road ready state *without* panniers.

I weighed one of my panniers - 13 lb. Assuming the other weighs the same, a '15 without panniers would be 578, or 7 lb. heavier than the hexhead. That's a gallon of gas. Another way of looking at it is with me on the bike, there's less than 1% difference.

Archived