IGNORED

Shoei Neotec review

Moosedog

After a few years of wearing HJC Symax 2 modular helmets I stepped up yesterday to a Neotec. This review can be summed up in one word WOW! Everything is better. Fit, finish, quality, quietness, ventilation, etc. I ride an 1150RT with the stock windshield. Airflow is excellent and it literally blows my hair on top of my head when both the top and rear vents are open. I particularly like the single pivot point for the chin bar and the face shield. The sun visor has the correct amount of tint, works very smoothly and you can position it as high or low as you want it. My first ride with it was about 100 miles and very enjoyable. No issues with this helmet.

Glenn Reed

I've owned one for a couple of years now, and am also very pleased with it. I did have to get the thinner cheekpads, as the stock ones were too tight. Nice thing was, they had already planned for this and had them, and were very easy to swap out.

Bill_Walker

I just picked mine up today and took about 30 miles of test ride, split between my two bikes (see sig).

First impressions: this helmet, with the chin curtain installed, is really quiet. On my Kawasaki, it's quieter than the full-face Arai Profile I've been using on it. That's saying a lot for a modular helmet! On the RT, behind a bigger-than-stock Cee Bailey screen with a bit of flip at the top, it's noisier than it is in the clean air on the Kawi. It's still a fair amount quieter than the Multitec it's replacing. I haven't tried it without the chin curtain. Opening the vents increases noise very slightly - much less than either the Multitec or the Profile. And it flows a lot more air than the Multitec.

I can see why the Neotec ships with a Pinlock anti-fog insert. With that chin curtain installed, the regular visor, without the Pinlock installed, fogs up immediately upon stopping or at very low speed (temperature was mid-60s, humidity around 60-70%). If you crack it open a notch it unfogs almost immediately. It unfogged quickly with motion on the Kawi, but needed a while on the RT. The Pinlock instructions tell you not to leave it installed all the time, though. I'll have to try the Pinlock and see what I think.

Even so, it's definitely a keeper. It's still the only modular helmet I've found that fits my long-oval noggin.

An interesting topic 'cus I'm preparing to buy either a Schuberth C3 Pro or Shoei Neotec. I've read many Revzilla reviews with +/- comments on both. Schuberth is only sold MSRP (other than remaining stock of discontinued C3 version) and Shoei not so much (if any) either, although Revzilla has some graphics models lightly discounted.

I bought a new Shoei 1st gen DuoTec (original design config) in L which was too small for my long-oval noggin, then Schuberth S1 Druidi graphics some years later. That S1 in XXL is still too small against my forehead even though I normally wear L-->XL. So a week ago, I briefly test wore a Schuberth C3 Pro at Phx area dealer. XXL felt much too large and XL maybe just right but not worn inside dealership long enough to be sure. These lids are much too spendy not to be able to return for exchange or refund if fit is unacceptable.

For me, another trip to the valley for longer "fit & sit" test awaits, 'cus that seems more practical than ordering online with subsequent cost to return. I figure that if I'm gonna do test fits at local dealers, I should be prepared to buy from them. Its only fair plus they might offer a slight price concession. Hey, it never hurts to ask!

Bill_Walker

I, too, have a long oval head. I've tried on a bunch of modular helmets, including the C3, and the Multitec and now Neotec were the only ones that didn't have the dreaded forehead hot spot. They're the only non-Arai helmets of any style I've found that didn't give me a pressure point.

beemerman2k

I am on the verge of getting my bike back on the road, so I am looking at helmets and other gear. I went to a Cycle Gear store today and tried the Shoei Neotec helmet on. I really liked it, so I appreciate these comments.

I traditionally wear a size XL in Shoei helmets. This one in XL felt a wee bit tight, but they didn't have a XXL unit I could try on. I have to find one. Would an XXL fit me just right or would my head swim inside of it? That's what I need to know.

Glenn Reed
I am on the verge of getting my bike back on the road

That right there is some good news all on it's own! :thumbsup:

beemerman2k

It's been an awfully long time. I haven't fired up my bike since July 2006. Hard for me to imagine. A bit nervous about the whole thing, too. Me and my bike were one back then. Now? We'll see...

• 11 months later...
Bill_Walker
I just picked mine up today and took about 30 miles of test ride, split between my two bikes (see sig).

First impressions: this helmet, with the chin curtain installed, is really quiet. On my Kawasaki, it's quieter than the full-face Arai Profile I've been using on it. That's saying a lot for a modular helmet! On the RT, behind a bigger-than-stock Cee Bailey screen with a bit of flip at the top, it's noisier than it is in the clean air on the Kawi. It's still a fair amount quieter than the Multitec it's replacing. I haven't tried it without the chin curtain. Opening the vents increases noise very slightly - much less than either the Multitec or the Profile. And it flows a lot more air than the Multitec.

I can see why the Neotec ships with a Pinlock anti-fog insert. With that chin curtain installed, the regular visor, without the Pinlock installed, fogs up immediately upon stopping or at very low speed (temperature was mid-60s, humidity around 60-70%). If you crack it open a notch it unfogs almost immediately. It unfogged quickly with motion on the Kawi, but needed a while on the RT. The Pinlock instructions tell you not to leave it installed all the time, though. I'll have to try the Pinlock and see what I think.

Even so, it's definitely a keeper. It's still the only modular helmet I've found that fits my long-oval noggin.

Update: I tried the Pinlock, still had fogging when I stopped, and finally realized it was my prescription glasses fogging up, not the visor! :dopeslap:

I took out the chin curtain, and the fogging problem was solved. Wind noise increased a little, but it's still a pretty quiet helmet. With the curtain out and the Pinlock in, even riding in rain, I've had no more fogging.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Neotec modular a few months ago. I love it. I think it's quieter than the Schuberth it replaced. It's very comfortable. Like every helmet I've had so far, it could use more ventilation. Still, it's my favorite.

I tried on the Neotec but it was so tight on my cheeks. I liked the feel of the Neotec other than my cheeks were pushed through my teeth. I settled on the Schuberth and like the helmet. But, th Schuberth was way more expensive than the Shoei. I really wanted the Neotec to work for me but couldn't.

Bill_Walker
I tried on the Neotec but it was so tight on my cheeks. I liked the feel of the Neotec other than my cheeks were pushed through my teeth. I settled on the Schuberth and like the helmet. But, th Schuberth was way more expensive than the Shoei. I really wanted the Neotec to work for me but couldn't.

I guess it's too late for you, but for the benefit of other posters, know that (a) the cheek pads break in and get a bit thinner, and (b) they're available in other thicknesses.

• 3 weeks later...
schumacher62

i just rode mine for 1400 miles over the past weekend. its my first long distance ride with the neotec, and it is indeed a good helmet. i dont find it particularly quiet, but it is well vented and didnt fog much, or not more than cracking the visor could clear up. i dont use the pinlock, the edges of it seem to fall right into my line of sight and i dont find that a comforting feeling.

my complaint is the horizon view when crouched over. the top of the helmet when riding a sportbike (or my K13s) comes down to sort of a widows peak shape, and severely restricts a horizon view. shockingly so. tucking in makes it even worse. ive no doubt this helmet is made for and performs best with an upright riding posture. just a note to those who might use it on a more aggressively styled bike, the distance and horizon views are compromised.

• 2 weeks later...
Bill_Walker

Another update: when riding my KLX250S with the chin curtain removed the helmet, there's a strong air blast up from the bottom of the helmet directly into my eyes. I can easily block it as a test by putting my hand across the bottom of the helmet opening. It's uncomfortably drying.

This might also be an issue on other naked bikes. It's not a problem on my RT, nor was it a problem on the F800GT service loaner I had recently.

Bill_Walker
my complaint is the horizon view when crouched over. the top of the helmet when riding a sportbike (or my K13s) comes down to sort of a widows peak shape, and severely restricts a horizon view. shockingly so. tucking in makes it even worse. ive no doubt this helmet is made for and performs best with an upright riding posture. just a note to those who might use it on a more aggressively styled bike, the distance and horizon views are compromised.

The sportiest thing I've ridden the Neotec on is an F800GT, and it was fine. And I tend to get my body low and forward in the twisties, and haven't had a problem. One issue might be helmet fit.

Back in the early 2Ks, I had gotten my long-oval head fitted at a shop and got an Arai Signet, size XL. A bit later, I bought a Ducati ST4. And I had the same problem on the Duc, even after I added bar risers. The top of the viewport was low enough on my brow that riding the bike was literally a pain in the neck, and I ultimately got rid of the bike. Fast forward a few years, time for a new helmet, and the same shop fitted me with an Arai Profile (replacement model for the Signet), size L! Not XL, L. And guess what? The viewport was quite a bit further up my brow, and I had no problem seeing out from forward leaning riding positions. Gee, I guess I needed a new helmet, not a new motorcycle. Live and learn.

Archived