IGNORED

Valve adjustment Miracle

Andre1150

With my 1150rt back in my garage, i can't stress enough the benefits of doing a thorough and meticulous valve adjustment. Overnight my bike went from a backfiring, poor idling no fun to ride machine, to a purring well mannered motorcycle. Thank you for all of the suggestions .. this one procedure did the trick.

foundationapps

Roger that, couldn't agree more with FireK. Got the appropriate gauges from beemerboneyard. Did a quick valve adjustment, which helped quite a bit. Read a bit more here and in the Clymer's manual and become more picky in my procedure. Creeping up on the right tension on the gauge, applying just a bit of reverse torque with the next head screw driver while tightening the lock nut (finessing it), makes a difference.

One last measure, once complete, I turned the whole engine over a few times using 5th gear and rotating (by hand) the rear wheel. I was happy with the setup without further messing with.

Ride result: Smooth perfection, faster warmup, NO hesitations (don't know if that's even related) and much less backfire on deceleration. Purring is a good word for it.

• 2 weeks later...
With my 1150rt back in my garage, i can't stress enough the benefits of doing a thorough and meticulous valve adjustment. Overnight my bike went from a backfiring, poor idling no fun to ride machine, to a purring well mannered motorcycle. Thank you for all of the suggestions .. this one procedure did the trick.

When last we heard from you ( This Thread HERE ) a test ride was in play, but you never said anything again - and now here you are 13 days later at home. Well, I am glad you are over your 15 plus days of being broke down by the side of the road. What an ordeal that was for you and everyone who tried to help you.

Archived