IGNORED

Bike History?

Guntech

I bought a R1150R Police bike and would like to know who the original owner was any suggestions on who to contact?

Thanks in advance

Guntech

I don't have an answer to your question but I often wonder if my first street bike still lives on somewhere. Doubt it but that would be a cool find after thirty five years! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the site! :wave:

Pat

If you know original selling dealership (perhaps by service interval stamps), you can request pdf extract of services performed there by VIN. I did that on my 04 RT since it had been sold twice by same dealer before to me as 3rd owner by the 2nd owner. That report shows the customer name(s) who paid for service...

To back up, with the last 7 of the VIN, any dealer can verbally tell you who purchased the bike or at least what dealership was the selling dealer of record.

Some won't tell you who bought it meaning what state or local pd.

you can also learn of any warranty claims done and any outstanding bulletins or recalls.

once you get the dealer of record, you may be able to contact that dealer for service records as regular service records are not kept on electronic file by BMW NA.

Some dealers will be nice about it and print out service records blacking out the PO name, some will verbally give you what services were done at that dealership, some will be jerks and not tell you anything.

The SM at the dealership I worked at was the latter.

... some will be jerks and not tell you anything.

That was my experience. When I bought my RT, used, from the owner, about a year ago the seller told me it had been regularly serviced by one of the local dealers and the clutch had been replaced recently. The key fob was from that dealer, there were business cards from them in the manual folder, etc. I wanted verify the clutch replacement so I emailed the dealer to ask if they could tell me if it had indeed been done and when. I got responses from a couple of people there saying that that was personal info and I'd have to present a notarized letter form the PO authorizing release of the info, blah, blah, etc, etc. What a crock. I had made it clear that I didn't want names or addresses or anything, just a yes or no and a date and/or mileage. Jeez. Luckily, a couple days later the service manager (not one of the original responders) emailed me with the info, from his personal email account. Not an impressive first encounter with the dealer. And they're supposed to be the best one in the area.

• 1 month later...
Matthew Miller

You may be able to track the ownership through the DMV department using the Vin#. This is probably easier if the bike stayed in state where it was bought. I would assume there would be a cost for the search at your DMV department.

At the so-called "jerk" dealer, perhaps if you waited until you were paying a service invoice to ask for this information ... . There's no "entitlement."

Archived