IGNORED

R1100RT-P for the Zombie Apocalypse

foundationapps

foundationapps

Hi all, new to this site. Recently picked up a 98 R1100RT-P. I have a pseudo-interest in preparing for the/a zombie apocalypse. This tongue in cheek, BUT, good considerations for a long range and difficult to sustain period of time where the 1100 is the only trans you have.

Meant for discussion and idea sharing purposes. These are my thoughts and mods so far.

1. Keep the police trunk. Lid may be bungied up for an additional 5 gallon gas can. Open lid becomes a back rest as needed. WARNING: Higher center of gravity, DO NOT USE THE SIDE STAND.

2. Remove the 2nd battery on the left side of the console. However, leave wiring in place and tape the metal ends for future needs. The cavity left behind by the batter makes a great storage box. Will hold 5 lbs of tools, electrical supplies, extra bulbs, duct tape, spare ammo, batteries for NVGs, emergency medical gear. Good place for 1 meter of fuel proof fuel line if needed for repair or siphoning as needed. Also a good place to mount a spare FUEL PUMP to pump fuel from a mother source into your bike.

3. Buy a cheap set of snow pants. Waist 36" or a large set works good. Open the zipper and slip the legs over the handle bars on each side. Use 5-6 zip ties to seal up the area around the top clamps and bundle up extra material. In cold and foul weather, pull the legs of these snowpants over the grips. The legs will come up halfway up your forarms. If you don't have heated grips, this keeps your hands warm in the worst weather. If you do have heated grips, use only flight gloves or your hands will cook.

4. Remove ABS package. This creates an additional hidden space for special items that can stay hidden away. I call it my smuggler's box. Sets in front of the battery, out of prying eyes. Takes 12 lbs off the weight of the bike. Good place for emergency spare parts.

5. Move your fuel filter to the outside of the tank forward of the right side throttle body. Install quick disconnects on the fuel lines.

6. Replace ALL hex head screws that hold on body work with cross tip (Phillips head) screws. This reduces the number of tools needed to do under Tupperware work.

7. Replace all possible nuts and bolts with common SAE size and keep the sizes as similar as possible. Further reduce the number of tools that needs to be carried.

8. Obtain and mount the absolute toughest trials / adventure type tire you can find. Get very good at changing tires in all conditions (hint: know how to break a bead using a field expedient lever).

More to follow.

Trivia quiz:

1. What's the best color to paint a vehicle for low light / low visibility conditions.

2. Which fuzes do you pull so you don't accidently turn on lights.

3. Is shoe goo fuel proof?

I'm working on a different scheme with the zombie apocalypse. My plan is to go down early and have a ball chasing people around, passing along my virus to as many hapless souls as possible.

actually, my somewhat less ambitious take on having to bug out of metropolis (seattle) involved my 1100RS, a 5 gal gas can, my regular overnight backpack, and a few handguns. Our evacuation route, instead of trying to split lanes on the roads (they'll be jammed up bad), we planned to travel down the bike paths. They go on for miles.... I think I'd lay off all the modifications and just keep a well maintained bike. Add some lights, or a few other farkles like a gps, etc.

That was our plan until we moved to Hawaii in January. There's just no point in bugging out over here. Where do I go? Buy or steal a sailboat is about the only option.

Where in Idaho are you? I'm from Spokane originally. I think I'd have to demand a GS for Idaho.

Glenn Reed
Elk?,,,Is that you?? Elk?? No? (BOOM-BOOM-BOOM)

3 ougtta do it

Rule #2 from the Zombieland Rules is double tap. It's a good compromise between making sure, and conserving ammo. Something to keep in mind Twinsig! :thumbsup:

Bill_Walker

7. Replace all possible nuts and bolts with common SAE size and keep the sizes as similar as possible. Further reduce the number of tools that needs to be carried.

Probably not a good choice on a bike that currently has all metric fasteners. You'll never be able to change all of them, so why change any of them? That would actually increase the number of tools that needs to be carried.

That being said, I'd think a GS, or even better, a KLR650, would be a better choice of bike for most apocalyptic scenarios. You want some off-road capability and great gas mileage, and little or no reliance on electronics. KISS applies.

That being said, I'd think a GS, or even better, a KLR650...

DR650. No radiator, no coolant hoses, no water pump...

Good call. Zombie guts will clog a radiator in nothing flat.

Elk?,,,Is that you?? Elk?? No? (BOOM-BOOM-BOOM)

3 ougtta do it

Rule #2 from the Zombieland Rules is double tap. It's a good compromise between making sure, and conserving ammo. Something to keep in mind Twinsig! :thumbsup:

Well, since they're home-grown loads 3 i think would be best, beginning at lower abdomen with muzzle-rise follow through to a 3 count. OEM Hornady Critical Defense? 2

Additionally and concerning foundationapps' scenario, i do share some of the same sentiments, however, in such a case, one MUST define his enemy! We have seen them lately, but not the physical example of "Zombie". And i'll stop there.

As for the bike mods? Man, do that sh!t to a harley! Leave that machine be...and just ride.

Happy Trails

foundationapps

Please read down if you don't are for the zombie nature of the discussion. It involves the use of shoe goo.

Morning, crap weather here in SE Idaho for a ride. My thought on the ZA for a bike, is to modify the things to the bike that I have now, the R1100RT. Without a doubt, A GS makes better sense, but probably the 800 GSA. Narrower profile, lighter weight and all that.

Since we live in "interesting times" already, I've taken the precaution to pre-stage small caches of fuel and food here and there. The issue then of course is to make it to those pre-staged supplies. Motorcycles make better sense than 4 wheeled vehicles for mobility except you can't carry the weight or bulk.

Figuring that the subject of defense is the zombies, which either are slow movers (head shots only), or fast movers (same traumatic injury it takes to drop a normal bad guy), the issue is ammo weight and size. Currently a short (very short) AR platform with 30 round mags is the most weight and power efficient. Another consideration is the living bad guys who will take from their fellow man for their own survival. A very real consideration if a man-made or natural disaster occurs.

Further thoughts on bike mods.

* IR capable lights, these can be arranged with heavy IR filtering glass over conventional lights. Have a PVS-14 already that is helmet mountable. Unless these booger eaters can see IR better than visible light?

* Side stand, center stand, or the lean against a tree method for rapid egress or bug out modes?

* How long does shoe goo last?

* Next item to discuss... How much and what would you carry on your bike if you had only 60 minutes to pack and be gone. Day or night, all weather.

Interesting discussion.

That being said, I'd think a GS, or even better, a KLR650...

Good thinking but I would go smaller. I have xl100s. No battery kickstart only and you can pick it up and load yourself if needed. Very maneuverable in close quarters as well.

foundationapps

Small bike, interesting point. I beat around a couple of sandboxes in the middle east. These massive 4 wheelers were available, and are highly maneuverable, but idiots do incredibly stupid things when 4 wheels are in contact. The 2 wheeled machines that were limited in number were far greater in demand for those who had the option.

So, while typing this, I find myself wondering... is it better to be up more modern management systems (computer controlled systems), or be very good at maintaining the older systems (carbs, points vs SSI)? Which system requires more hardware / spare to support them?

In the world of remote long range communications, HF/Morse Code/and NON computer controlled systems will always get through. These digital systems are either working, or toast. Seems like the computer controlled bikes are either working, or they're toast.

These are some very sharp and experienced folks here, I consider these things quite a bit.

How much and what would you carry on your bike if you had only 60 minutes to pack and be gone. Day or night, all weather...

1 as much extra fuel as I can put together quickly.

2 handguns and all the ammo I can find.

3 several cans of green beans, spam, and whatever else is handy.

4 usual riding gear: gps, aerostich suit, gerbings jacket, etc.

5 camping kit - tent, bag, stove, cook kit, hatchet, etc.

It does sorta depend on the nature of your bug out. Will this be a localized problem, or region-wide? Obvious, or not? Permanent or temporary?

All you really need is ammo though. Then you can "shop" for whatever you forgot.

TripleThreat

That thing is awesome...

500 mile range! Might be tough on that seat... Wonder if Russell has worked up any options yet!

szurszewski

Ok, I think all this zombie apocalypse/prepper/bug-out stuff is a little ridiculous (no offense meant - I realize you'd probably think the stuff I worry about is ridiculous too), but I WANT that bike. Two actually 'cause I'd like to keep my wife along for the ride.

So....here's the question: will they make a version short enough for my six year old to ride (maybe with not so many knives in case he gets mad at me for making him live on a diet of canned beans)? He sure isn't going to be comfortable riding on top of the crossbow on the back of mine.

YEP! I want one. AND can supply my own ordinance just like most of you nice folks here in the land of the free! (so far anyway)

How about a couple of SigSauers AND fire-control mounted to the Handlebar. Almost like Bond's Astin Martin from 1959(?)

foundationapps

"recoil assist steering" ... nice one. Let's open the subject up away from Zombie Apocalypse to man-made or natural disaster, including loss of power, H2O and fast food options.

Agree with the line from Blackhawk Down... "ammo dude, take more ammo".

I'll also plan for my four horses, when the gas runs out :)

I'll also plan for my four horses, when the gas runs out :)

When the gas runs out, there will definitely be four horsemen to contend with...

Just sayin'

foundationapps

I'd say we see things the same way, one black, one white, one grey and ... Conquest,War,Famine,and Death.

Archived