IGNORED

2000 RT1100SE ABS Flash remove warning relay

twowheelsonly

twowheelsonly

Hi

I am tired of goofing around with the poorly designed ABS system, I have for 4 years chased this monkey and invested a lot of time and $ with trying to do a work around, I am at a point that I would like to remove the ABS relay so the flashing light goes off, My brakes work great and have for almost 2 years now but this is something I have not tried and wanted other Rt1100/1150 riders opinions...

Ride safe and God Bless

Morning twowheelsonly

If you want to disable the ABS system then it takes more than just the relay removal. Plus removing the ABS warning relay will only disable one of your lights.

How far do you want to get into it?

twowheelsonly

Hi

I just want to make sure I still have brakes, my brakes work fine they just want the blinking lights to stay off,, I prefer to not have to deal with them anymore.

I did see a video on how to remove the ABS system and do the rewire to 2 new headlight relays so the rear brake light works, Looks like it is do able for me when I service the transmission spline and rear drive system..

Honestly the only thing I haven't done is check the clearances of the pads or sensors for the front and rear brakes, I'll really be pissed at myself if this is the culprit. I also have a Goldwing with ABS but they do not use an electrically charges system so they are prone to the low voltage issue of the RT1100, I like having ABS who doesn't but it seems like a lot of 1100 and 1150 riders are chsing this problem due to IMHO a poor designed system that BMW chose to use..

Just my 2 cents worth.. as it is my brakes have worked great for the past 3 years despite the ABS flashing light problem, I found a temporary fix, 3 m black electrical tape over the lights, LOL

Thanks!

Morning twowheelsonly

Seeing as you don't really know what is wrong with your ABS unit then the only sure way to (absolutely safely) disable the ABS system is to remove the ABS controller & re-plumb the brake lines.

Assuming your ABS controller is not gong to hinder brake application due to internal plugging or piston movement then you can unplug the ABS controller (large plug), then slide the ABS controller side cover up & disconnect the large B+ power wire to the ABS power relay inside the ABS controller. Then remove the ABS relay from the fuse box.

You CAN (just) remove the ABS relay from the fuse box but that disables nothing other than one dash light.

Michaelr11

Wow, I'm not trying to slam you but after four years you really haven't done much except complain here about the ABS system. You are mixing different systems - the ABS2 (that's what is on your 1100RT) does not have brake light circuits running through it. That happened on the later I-ABS on the 1150RT. You've got flashing warning lights, why not check them or take it to the dealer to read the codes and figure out what ABS component is sending the error code. Codes that point to sensors should be easy to fix. If the error code points to the ABS module, you can send it to Module Master. They will repair an ABS2 module for $350 and give it a 5 year warranty.

twowheelsonly

I can't disagree with your comments, I have had it working for a while then it screws up, fix it again and it works kinda sorta then it screws up again.. I appreciate your comment and will take it to a dealer have them diagnosis it again and see where it leads..

I still think that the ABS system BMW chose was not the best and as you see I and a lot of others have been chasing the symptom and come up with several workarounds.. I have a Goldwing as well and am on the GW Forum all the time, there is hardly ever a ? about a problem with the ABS optioned GW,that is from 2001 to current models, what is the difference, Honda used a system very similar to a car, BMW choose a different route and obviously it has its short coming, maybe they thought it could be a cash cow for their dealers or hopefully just a bad design choice which is on BMW engineering.

Thank you for the info on servo rebuild, thats a lot better than the $2200 I was quoted from a dealer here in Atlanta who told me 2 years ago that the bikes brakes would not work with the ABS lights flashing, that's when I used the 3M tape over the flashing brake lights and 15,000 miles later no ABS but brakes great! I do not recommend this to anyone as a fix, it's a decision I took cause I could not get my problem resolved so the system worked reliably...

Hi twowheelsonly.

Like Michaelr11, I am confused.

Your bike DOES NOT have a servo.

Your problem is most likely a voltage issue and see CoolTouch comment above.

I believe you are getting confused between the 1100 and the 1150 which use totally different braking systems.

twowheelsonly

Hi

yes I made a mistake the utube video was for a 2004 which I believe has linked ABS and the RT1100 is unlinked, guess that is the main difference of the servo and relays for brake lights etc..

I appreciate the tips,

Ride Safe and God Bless!

Stewart

Hi

... guess that is the main difference of the servo and relays for brake lights etc..

I appreciate the tips,

Ride Safe and God Bless!

Stewart

Not 'main' difference. The bikes braking systems are totally different.

Lets get back to the start. I refer you back to CoolTouch's post. We will chime in again to help if you have questions.

Archived