IGNORED

My F700GS, Love this bike.

TNT

Will Stagg

I hear you loud an clear TNT I went in to the dealer for the switch recall on my '12 RT and am going back next week to trade it in on a F700GS......So much easier to maneuver around and just plain simpler. Myself, I'm not doing the 120 daily commute anymore wind protection just isn't a priority. Gonna miss that electronic cruise control though......From what see on the internet, I'm not alone in "rightsizing"

This bike has opened up a new world. I loved my RT, but this little bike is so much more in many ways. This bike also loves the curvy roads in the hills. So you can see I'm very happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...

From all of the pics you have posted, it's obvious that this is the bike for you. How many miles do you have on it now?

At 7,284 after today's wet ride. This bike is outstanding. Much better then the old RT. I love my little GS, this bike has been over looked IMO. 8324e04bc23ce19ab40930fa7875740f_zpsmu6jmil8.jpg8580532db796de7f1a7aa5d821b51732_zpst0jfeo7l.jpg81e3a76bd30280bc51ce671bb59103a9_zpsyv8qwik1.jpg1b388bce0b951fdff87da49024b6ac39_zpskl21qtdy.jpg

Will Stagg

I really enjoy my F700GS as well. But it sure isn't the black top burner my RT was.

It actually vibrates less. But I miss electronic CC and my left hand misses the easy clutch of the RT. I've been riding full faired bikes since the 80's so I knew the wind was going to be a factor now, What I didn't realize is that when your not sucking up miles, the wind can be nice. First ride yesterday with temps over 80 and by golly felt comfortable in my leather, on the RT I would have been roasting. Going to have to rethink an aftermarket windscreen. What really made me happy with the GS was I was able to do a few hours on dirt roads with confidence and found it enjoyable. Something I would not have attempted on the RT. Doing my 600 mile service today

I can tell already this unit will be much less of a task than RT

[/img]

• 3 weeks later...

"Are you allowed to ride a GS to those places?"

Starbucks allows GS's to be there I think, not my kinda place truthfully As far as dirt roads....I've been out testing on fire roads and trails. The weight and gearing of the bike really limit the fun factor on trails. For real off road travel I'm going to stick to my TW200 but for unpaved roads the GS works great. Planning a trip now up to Tahoe to spend time camping and checking out old mining roads. This requires 5 hours of pavement just to get there, so the GS should be great fun. Quite enjoying the lack of fairing, mesh gear functions well and not so much fear of dropping on gravel roads. Lane splitting facilitated too.

• 2 weeks later...
roadscholar
so what is the difference between the 700GS and the 800GS. are they basically the same bike?

Night and day. At least the 650 twin (700 is very similar) and 800. 650/700 is primarily a roadbike with light, but good off-road capability. 800 is a big nasty dirtbike very similar to a 950/990 KTM (w/less power) that you can live with on the road.

Mainly done with gearing, engine tuning, and most importantly suspension. Go ride them back to back, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

A big reason they work well off-road and at the same time have great high speed stability is they share a 62+ inch wheelbase. 1200GS is 59.75. KTM 950/990 Adv is 62+, go figure.

Marty Hill

Glad I found this thread. Been thinking of getting one to use around home. Time to call chicago and take advantage of the BMW discounts that have been kept in place till the end of july. :thumbsup:

roadscholar

Think you'd like it Marty, nice lightweight alternative to a 12GS. I use mine as a dirt road travel bike (I run a TKC on the front and Tourance in back), all day comfy w/a laminar lip and Bill Mayer seat. And it's surprisingly long-legged, likes to cruise at 90 or so.

IMG_3241-L.jpg

IMG_3256-L.jpg

And easy to load when you wanna take it somewhere : )

IMG_3281-L.jpg

I don't know if the diff between the F700GS and F800GS is all that substantial. The F7 is slanted much more toward nicer on the road with tubeless tires, lower seat height and higher gearing than the F8. You won't be "cool" with the Starbucks crowd on a F700GS and if your manly enough to want to wrassle something that big on trails then you will need the extra the power and suspension etc of the F800GS. The F8 is a bit of overkill for fire roads an such IMHO.

I didn't even test ride the F8 when before swapped out my RT as I have stumps for legs and thus wished for low seat height(unmodified). I also have much finer dual sports for any real off road adventure. Both the F7 and F8GS require a better windscreen if you wish to be out of the wind.

[img:center][/img]

Archived