IGNORED

Turn Signal Running Lights

kltk165

I'm sorry if this has been discussed. I couldn't find a thread. Does anyone know if there's a kit available to run the front turn signals as running lights on the R1200RT? Run-N-Lites made a kit for my old K1100LT, but nothing for the RT.

I did this exact light adder on my 1150RT front turn signals- got a 'generic' stop/run lamp base combination and a twin filament bulb to match. Wired the turns as normal, powered the run lamps to the low beams so they were always on. Provided more visibility out front but no loss in showing turns. Good Luck !

Glenn Reed
I think the Kisan Signalminder still has this functionality. Check the website:

http://kisantech.com/

Cheers,

Mark

I was thinking the same thing, but when I clicked on the BMW logo, it brought up this PDF Chart. In the column where the Signal Minder would be, it is empty for the R1200RT, so it appears there is no Signal Minder for his bike.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I did this exact light adder on my 1150RT front turn signals- got a 'generic' stop/run lamp base combination and a twin filament bulb to match. Wired the turns as normal, powered the run lamps to the low beams so they were always on. Provided more visibility out front but no loss in showing turns. Good Luck !

This. For my '09 R1200RT I bought generic 1157-style sockets, like this; they have springy metal tangs so they can fit into just about any car or bike (you may have to bend the tangs a bit if they are sprung out too tight). On my bike, power for the running lights comes from a fuse panel under my saddle, but if you don't have that, than you can splice into anything with switched power (low-beam works fine).

You should be able to find those sockets at just about any hardware store for a few bucks each. 1157 bulbs generally are available with clear, amber or red glass; you'll want amber for front (or red for rear).

Be aware that some versions of this have a tab on the side of the metal socket so you can attach your ground wire with a spade connector. Some versions don't have that tab, and assume that you're installing in a grounded metal housing. You'll want the former, since the RT has plastic reflector housings; make sure you're holding the right ones before you leave the store.

Archived